Viva Las Vegas


Advertisement
North America
July 25th 2014
Published: September 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

In the heart of the StripIn the heart of the StripIn the heart of the Strip

Overlooking Paris hotel
Sin City, despite its rebellious reputation of boobs and booze, had quite humble roots. Its origin as the site of a Mormon fort and rest area for the Hoover Dam construction workers slowly transformed into a Mecca for gamblers, elopers, and the Mafia during the 20th century, making it one of the most popular destinations in America. But even if you're not looking to quickly tie the knot or become an overnight millionaire, the blitz and glitz of Vegas is still worth a visit, especially because the airfare is ridiculously affordable during the summer.

Since gambling is not a priority for Kristina and me, this itinerary is geared towards the average traveler without a Swiss bank account. The best free activity is touring the hotels on the Strip, which are a sight to behold and if you like grand things, this will satisfy your appetite for hours on end. The famously dubbed "Strip" is the part of Las Vegas Boulevard from Sahara Ave in the north to Russel Rd in the south, housing all the shows, buffets, and strip clubs that made this place renown. While the most central location on this street is near the Paris and Bellagio hotels,
The Wynn TheaterThe Wynn TheaterThe Wynn Theater

Venue for one of the best shows in Vegas, "Le Reve: the Dream."
a stroll along the Boulevard should start at one end or the other, so here is a list of must-see hotels from north to south.

Wynn and Encore are sister properties that may boast the best interior decor on the Strip. A huge waterfall outside the Wynn with a vivacious garden blooming with all sorts of colors beckons a leisurely stroll for any couple. The Wynn is home to the #1 rated buffet in Vegas--supposedly--but the $41 admission is reasonable if you love seafood, a juicy steak, or merely ice cream by the gallon. Disregard the price because The Buffet is food heaven with a large variety and is certainly the best all-you-can-eat we've ever been to. This hotel is also the venue for "Le Reve: the Dream", a water-infused acrobatic show reminiscent of Cirque du Soleil but with more choreography, very similar to "O" at the Bellagio; it is considered one of the best shows in Vegas, and at over $100 a ticket, it definitely lives up to the steep pricetag with great costumes, experienced directorship, and a gorgeously intimate stage.

Across the intersection is the Venetian, a daring reconstruction of the Italian city on the water.
The Buffet at WynnThe Buffet at WynnThe Buffet at Wynn

Rated #1 buffet in Vegas
This is the largest hotel in the world, so prepare to be amazed by the highest ceilings you will ever witness indoors, fully equipped with clouds and a dusky sun to set the ambiance. If you wished to sail down the canals of Venice but can't quite make it to Europe, hop in the gondolas and enjoy the ride as your guide sings you Italian lullabies. And why bother traveling to the motherland for some authentic pasta and pizza when you can just do it in the huge town square while performers belch Italian opera pieces, even if you can't understand a word.

Then continue south to Caesar's Palace, the same place where Doug, Phil, Stu, and Alan embarked on their epic escapades in the movie turned holy Bible for bachelor parties ever since, The Hangover. While it's old and decrepit, it's nonetheless a Vegas staple that houses animated statues, an aquarium full of sharks for the kids, and the biggest indoor shopping mall on the Strip, the Forum.

Keep on the same side of the road and go to the Bellagio, which may be the grandest of all the hotels. An 80-acre pool out front is the
Gondola Rides at the VenetianGondola Rides at the VenetianGondola Rides at the Venetian

The indoor canal leading to the town square in the world's largest hotel.
location of the best free water show in Sin City, which starts every 30 minutes from 3 to 8 p.m. and every 15 minutes from 8 p.m. to midnight (better viewed at night), all choreographed to music and costs an easy $10K for the hotel to operate. There is also a beautiful botanical garden perfect for photo-ops and a drizzling chocolate fountain for the sweet-obsessed.

Hop over to the other side of the Boulevard and enter a French oasis in the Paris hotel. A scaled-down replica of the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe is an appropriate backdrop for some delicious crepes, croissants, and baguettes with cured meat. The cobbled streets and authentic decor whisks you straight to Paris, except the locals here use deodorant.

Then walk farther south to Luxor, an ingeniously designed building where the Pyramid actually houses the hotel rooms, unlike other properties like New York, New York where the exterior is simply a facade and serves no purpose other than decoration. Take a quick meander around to explore the Egyptian-inspired architecture, find the Sphinx for a cool picture, and enjoy the ancient mixed with modern elements found throughout the hotel.

Other hotels worth visiting if you have more time to kill are the Cosmopolitan (a swank and trendy hotel with a giant red stiletto for pictures), Excalibur (an imitation castle good for the kids), Flamingo (home to an animal habitat with flamingos and penguins to occupy the children), and the Mirage (an enormous volcano outside with free nightly shows to fire up your trip).

If the itinerary above sounds too exhausting to cover by foot, don't fret because there are free trams to take you where you wish. The southermost tram takes you from Mandalay Bay to Luxor to Excalibur, leaving every 3 to 7 minutes; the northbound tram stops at Luxor, while the southbound one doesn't, so plan accordingly. There is also a tram to take you from Monte Carlo to City Center to the Bellagio. This takes less than 6 minutes and leaves every 3 minutes. The last free tram goes from the Mirage to Treasure Island, departs every 8 minutes and is located near the northern end of the Strip, so use this to find your way to Wynn and the Venetian.

North of the Strip is another attraction that many are unaware of, but was actually the original Las Vegas. It's now known as the downtown area and is located around Fremont Street, a bustling stretch of road that has been closed off to car traffic and rivals the lights and glitter of its contemporary, the Las Vegas Boulevard. Here, you will find the Golden Nugget hotel, which is home to the world's largest golden nugget on public display, as well as a water slide that zips through a shark tank. Binion's Casino is also located in this area and displays a bullet-proof glass enclosed $1 million that guests are encouraged to take a souvenir photo with, which the casino will produce for you free of charge. Starting at 8 p.m., the street shuts off all lights and the LCD screen on the ceiling becomes an animation choreographed to music, which happens every hour on the hour.

Vegas also offers other attractions besides the Strip. If you have a day to spare, drive 4 hours to the Grand Canyon like we did and enjoy the natural wonder (read our blog at www.travelblog.org/North-America/United-States/Arizona/Grand-Canyon-National-Park/blog-853153.html). If you prefer a feat of human engineering, drive 40 minutes east to the Hoover Dam and take a tour for $11 per person. If you love white water rafting, travel to the nearby Colorado River and soak in the tides for an adrenaline rush. Whatever floats your boat, Vegas has it. It's not known as the Entertainment Capital of the World for no reason, so drop by and see what the fuss is all about, even if that entails a new spouse and depleted bank account.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb