reno, back to vegas then la


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles
August 25th 2011
Published: August 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

okay its been awhile since my last entry... ill try and keep it succinct (try)

last time i checked in i was dying in my hotel room after reliving my mispent youth seeing soundgarden in concert. and i was in reno.

When i first arrived in Reno it stunk. (so did i..) but was really stunk was the poker. I was coming off the super advanced styles of vegas and the wsop and playing part time spazs again... and they were getting very lucky on me. i played about 8 events and got very close to the money on several occasions. The bad beats were thick and fast My favourite was when my KJ lost to 10 10 on a board of KK34. peanut called my all in and hit a ten. but my inability to win a race was crippling. Think i was 3 from 14 at one stage in coin flips for my life. anyway....
It was really frustrating i i was ready to come home. combine that with the fact i gotsick immediately and i really had enonugh. The sickness perhaps had a little to do with my vegas outro and a little to do with my constant breatning of aircondistioned air but alot to do with the prick who sat next to me on my first touranment buy in. he came down coughing and spluttering from his room and was blowing his nose into a hand towel that he kept on his lap. I felt his pain as he had the wife and kids watching him and it was clearly the only "me time" he was allowed on the trip. But he was going to make us all sick... and i told him... "we all have touch these chips mate... i dont want to get sick too" That why he had the towel he replied.... Super. So with my health dependent on a magic towel... my only hope was the contaigen was as stupid as he was. like my poker... i wasnt that lucky...
Another two days in the room and im was going stir crazy.... i was low on cash and had to miss the main event in reno (matsow miczrachi and brechner arrived for it) i was forced to instead play some cash. Cash games were a welcome change. i was freed up to actually play some poker opposed to the fold fold fold monotony of tournament play. i was getting into the groove again and playing really well. i owned this one asian kid who i called down for 650m with 56 on a board of A 36 J 9. he was shocked.... so was the table.
the tournaments were nearly over and i played one more for a cheap buy in. i played super and reached the final table. With 6 left i called an all in with QJ when i noticed the player shoving had not looked at his cards properly when he went all in. this indicated to me that he was playing his position rather than his cards as he was in the cutoff. i called. i was right he had 10 9... and i rode out the win.
a few hands later i called an all in with AQ, the guy had 10 10... hmmm. not winning races... but i hot there. sadly i bluffed off my stack and finished in third. but i was rapt to be finally cashing although it was less than 1k
The best part was the kid i ko-ed with AQ sat and watched me. He came up to me at the end and said he was happy to see me go so far. That was really unusual as an opponent who gets knocked out so deep will usually hate you. despite how the cards or action was... i was genuinely surprised. He told me i was playing really well all week and deserved it as i had gotten really unlucky and was alot better than the players here. Gobsmacked....
This lifted my confidence massively. All of a sudden Reno wasnt that bad. The Grand Sierra poker room was in fact hiliarious. It was one of the few places that allowed the dealers to play when not on duty. I made some good friends namely Josh Cody and Mike who despite dealing me some horrible turn cards were great guys. when the Tournaments were done the dealers got the tip envelopes and guess what? they wanted to gamble... i sat in on the dealers game which went all hours... it got to the point where they wouldnt let me bet so i was forced to check call if i had hit... if wasnt fair on them so i agreed. i felt bad taking more of there money as these guys just wanted to play after a long week of tournaments. i was reminiscent of knock offs at the rosstown. trackside tony?

i went back to vegas with confidence intact... sadly my credit card had expired so my funds had dropped considerably. in fact i had $250 after accomm travel and the bond had been paid for my next apartment... and repaid the flamingo...
i sat on my hands for a day and bought food so i wouldnt die.... it was a long 24 hours. i then hit caesers with the last of my cash while waiting for some funds to arrive. $80 buy in and it was a cakewalk. we split it 3 ways and i was back in the money. i then went on a streak. a 7th a the venetian for 1k two wins at the wynn for 1400 each and a 4th. i finally had the funds to hit the cash tables again.

And i could do no wrong... i was hitting full houses straights and flushes, moreover i folded AA on a board of J 10 7. the table was shocked as i showd it and folded. the gut announces "how do you fold?" and turns J 10... because im beat i reply... and everyone is silent. its then this little asian kid runs up... Oh this guy!!! He owns me!! He soul read me all day in Reno i cant beat him. stay away from this Australian guy. Hes the best!... its the kid i called down with bottom pair in Reno... and he has just announced to the table how good i am.... Fantastic
i am already killing it an i have been given a license to bluff. No one wants to test me after this kids testimonial. he continues to tell storie sof myn play in Reno... and i continue to rake pots... my best moment is when american pro Adam Schoenfeld sits down at the table and i outplay him so much i force him to bluff all in with Ace high. i had a flush so it was an easy call.
Pocket KK ten mins later and i have 5k infront of me. its time to go...and go to los angeles

The WPT legends of poker is on at the Bicycle casino there... i grab a flight there and testmy luck... ill fill in on next blog

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb