Day One - Long Beach


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Los Angeles » Long Beach
January 13th 2014
Published: January 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

First pic! First pic! First pic!

Taken outside the terminal to board the ship. I actually like this one!
Yay the day I had waited for had finally come!! I booked yet, another great cruise slated for January 2014. What a great way to start off the year, much like last year. Island drinks by the pool, fun stage shows, karioke on board, and endless endless buffets and ice cream. Who wouldnt love going on a cruise? Plus whatever port you go to is usually a beautiful sunny island with great culture, food and cheaper prices on purses, jewlry and clothes! Not bad for a short 5 day vacation.

Anyway, we traveled into Long Beach the day prior, on Sunday. Being a 13 hour drive from EL Paso...you sort of have to start out a day earlier. And just like last year, we stayed at a seedy, cheap hotel just miles from the port. Only, somehow we did pretty well, driving I-10 to I-5 into Long Beach w/o getting lost...I wish I could say the same for the drive back.

After an unfortunate parking lot incident, we finally made it into the Queen Mary terminal and check in early. Just after 10am. Most cruises dont leave port til 4pm or later. We werent allowed on the ship until
Queen MaryQueen MaryQueen Mary

They make you check in on this Queen Mary ship...I dont know a whole lot about it...
about noon, which was fine. There were a few food trucks which allowed us a late breakfast.

Then came the boarding process and finally, allowed on board! I didnt think the cruise would be full...but honestly, it was pretty packed. We, like everyone else, headed to the buffet, which was fantastic. All kinds of meats, sandwhiches and even some chinese food.

After the food comes the (very expensive) drinks. Normally I like wine, but being on a cruise during the day means you need at least an island drink or a real cocktail. And thats just what we did. We sat at the pool bar with vodka tonics, went inside to this nice little bar called "chopin" and had some tasty martini's.

Then came the fabulous dinner with salmon! And yes, more drinks. By then I had switched to wine, my fav!

We explored the ship but didnt really do any shows. After a long and tiring day we both passed out kind of early.

And just like that, the vacation had begun =)


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The DomeThe Dome
The Dome

Dome where you go thru security, customs, etc
SeagullSeagull
Seagull

I like this pic...a seagull and the city of Long Beach right behind
First DrinkFirst Drink
First Drink

First Cruise ship drink!
LunchtimeLunchtime
Lunchtime

Outside having lunch


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb