On the Road Again!


Advertisement
Published: June 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

America is a huge country with so many amazing sites to see so while we were here in California it made sense to go and see as many as we could.

We hired a car set off immediately after the public holiday, Memorial day, on a six day trip.Hopefully most of the crowds would have gone home! We had intended to travel north up the along the coast road, Highway One as far as Monterey then over to Yosemite Valley, a place I had been wanting to see for years before driving back South inland.



However on the morning we were due to set off the infamous Californian sea fog had moved in along the coast meaning there would be no views. Instead, we made the instant decision to turn the trip around and travel North through Mojave dessert first, past Red Rock Canyon and onto Lone Pine the gateway to Whitney Portal before heading for Yosemite. Hopefully by the time we were due to travel back south the fog would have cleared.

Once past Mojave as we drove along, the snowy mountains of the Sierra Nevadas towered above us giving great views, we stopped a few times to take photographs and stretch our legs but were soon beaten back into the air conditioned car as the outside temperature was over 100 degrees F and there was no shade anywhere. It seemed strange that as we were stood frying in the sunshine there could be so much snow on the mountains . Added to this the wind whipped across at about 50 miles per hour feeling like a hot hair dryer!



We eventually arrived in Bishop, our first overnight stop, there was an outdoor pool in our motel so I jumped in to cool down but soon jumped out again despite the air temperature the water was freezing, must have been snow melt!





By the time we were ready to eat it seemed all the restaurants were closed in this town so reluctantly we ended up in Mc Donald’s!! We were in bed by 9.30, already for another long drive the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.485s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 75; dbt: 0.2527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb