Day Trips To State Parks Near Russellville AR


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Three State Parks Near Russellville AR


The Spinich ManThe Spinich ManThe Spinich Man

Alma AR City Park
There had been so much to do in Fort Smith that we hadn’t taken a drive eastward to visit the small towns along the way and the three nearby state parks, so Plan B went into effect. Instead of going north to Fayetteville we decided to head east and spend a week in the Russellville AR area. On Tuesday, June 1, 2010, we caught US 64 eastbound and stopped in Alma (the spinach capitol of Arkansas) to see the Popeye statue. The statue is metallic and outshines the painted Popeye statue we saw in Crystal City TX in March 2010. Our next stop was Ozark AR where we followed the railroad tracks to the Ozark Area Depot Museum right on the Arkansas River and within excellent viewing range of the 1931 Ozark River Bridge. For the most part, the small local museums found a certain geographic area are replications of the others; however, we are learning that virtually each of them has a unique story to tell which makes each of them worth a short visit. Additionally, the volunteers are usually natives who can answer questions and provide insight.

We stopped at the Franklin County Courthouse and the accompanying veterans memorials and targeted a few photogenic buildings. We didn’t know what to expect of our next stop. The travel literature told us the Bank of the Ozarks had a carved sandstone mural in the lobby that paid tribute to the history of Ozark. My curiosity told me this was something I needed to see. In spite of my poor color perception and my self-serving definition of art appreciation (if it’s pretty to me, then it’s pretty; if not, then it’s not), I am extremely grateful that my curiosity lured me to the bank lobby. This fifty-six foot mural consists of ten-panels each one of which is about 1-1/2 inches thick, four feet tall and five feet wide. Five panels are mounted to a wall on either side of a doorway (don’t ask me how or about the wall construction). Suffice it to say that this is an amazing piece of work and well worth a two-mile trip from I-40 and thirty minutes of your time - IF you are passing through during banking hours.

The next little town of interest on US 64 was Altus AR. The Altus City Park serves as the town plaza and contains veteran’s memorials
Working The HomesteadWorking The HomesteadWorking The Homestead

The Ozark Mural - Bank of the Ozarks - Ozark AR
and a memorial to the area’s coal miners. Those who were lost in mining accidents are singled-out among the long list of names. Directly across the street is the Altus Heritage House Museum which was supposed to be open but was not. Our walk brought us upon the City Hall/Tourist Information building where we found the mayor wearing two hats. Actually, she was not wearing a hat at all, but she was serving as the dispenser of tourist information. We did note to her that the museum was not open, and she very graciously apologized. After chatting for a bit, we prepared to depart. She offered to take our picture in (where else) front of the Altus sign. What a public relations specialist!!! Just kidding, she seemed like a very nice lady. Finally, we arrived in Russellville and Ivy’s Cove RV Retreat. The RV Park is new and spacious. The shade makers have been planted but have not yet reached maturity. Ivy’s Cove might be slightly over-priced but is nice.

Wednesday June 2, we set out for Mount Magazine State Park. We rummaged around Paris AR and found some photographic targets - a couple of churches, an unusual old building or two and the Logan County Courthouse (with veterans memorials). Across the street from the courthouse square, we noticed the Historic Preservation Center was located next to a burned out and cordoned off Main Street Cinema. Close call and a little bit of irony - sorta like when a fire station burns!

The trail guide we had picked up gave us several options of length and of difficulty so we stopped at the Visitor Center to get some expert advice. The trail up Signal Hill to the highest point in Arkansas was considered moderately difficult but was only 1.4 miles each way. We made it our choice to learn what moderate was all about. Since Silver City NM is over twice the 2,753-foot elevation of the Signal Hill summit, we correctly believed the altitude would not be a problem. The trail was mostly drenched in filtered sunlight - perfect for walking in the late morning with a severe case of high humidity. Ninety degrees with ninety percent has been the norm since we arrived in Fort Smith a week ago. The trail up Signal Hill was easy - well marked, well manicured and almost exclusively a very gentle
To The Highest Point In ArkansasTo The Highest Point In ArkansasTo The Highest Point In Arkansas

Mount Magazine State Park AR
incline. We agreed that “easy” trails must be very short and/or very flat. After completing the hike, we drove around the park with stops at whatever scenic vistas we encountered. In spite of a haze in the air that hindered the view, we had a very nice day.

In the morning, we packed another picnic lunch and headed for a considerably closer Petit Jean State Park and the hike I really wanted to take - Cedar Falls Trail. Again, we stopped at the Visitor Center for advice and, after talking to the ranger, decided to go for it. The trail is two miles each way, is considered moderate to hard and descends quite a distance down into Cedar Creek Canyon via a series of CCC-made steps and switchbacks. The first ½ to ¾ mile was the “hard” portion - very steep, extremely rocky and uneven. Once on the canyon floor, the trail became slightly undulating but relatively smooth and even until just before we reached Cedar Falls. The lack of rainfall recently (and I am NOT complaining) reduced the volume of water in Cedar Creek and diminished the grandeur we might have seen at Cedar Falls, but watching the
Cedar FallsCedar FallsCedar Falls

Petit Jean State Park AR
water plunge from ninety feet above was spectacular none-the-less.

We idled away thirty minutes or so and started back. The hike out was no more difficult than the hike in but held a different set of challenges - my lungs aren’t what they were half a million cigarettes ago! Sure glad I quit when I did. Back on the rim, we had lunch and drove around the park looking at other CCC projects and stopping at whatever looked interesting: A. Out on one of the more remote fingers, we saw the most spectacular patch of wildflowers we have seen in Arkansas. B. A CCC dam had created a pond that had become home to a flock of geese. C. We found a lonely chimney left over from a cabin and a memorial to the members CCC Company V-1781 who had built the park. D. We happened upon a pioneer cabin built by John Walker in 1845. There is so much to see, learn and enjoy when life finds the slow lane on the road less traveled.

Friday June 4 found us off to visit Mount Nebo State Park. Road signs warned that trailers over 24 feet were prohibited,
BewareBewareBeware

Mount Nebo State Park AR
and we found out why shortly after passing by the park entrance - the road took an unbelievable ascent with a constant barrage of 10 m.p.h. switchbacks. I felt as though I could identify with the astronauts. After conferring with the Ranger, we opted to take the hike along the Rim Trail. Not only was it a less strenuous hike, but there were vistas galore. The developed area of Mount Nebo is relatively small so we explored it as best we could. As we started our early afternoon descent, the road sign warned of an eighteen percent grade. I reset my trip odometer and found the grade to be 2.25 miles long with a half-mile stretch of seven percent or so incline in the middle. My brakes got a workout even in low gear.

Kay and I are in agreement Petit Jean State Park is the best of the three parks. There are more CCC artifacts, more vistas, more trails, more wildflowers and more diversity in general. There is an easy, wheelchair-accessible path to an overlook for Cedar Falls such that the falls are partially visible from above. The proximity to I-40 makes Petit Jean readily accessible. Highly recommended
Arkansas River Steamboat PortArkansas River Steamboat PortArkansas River Steamboat Port

The Ozark Mural - Bank of the Ozarks - Ozark AR
for a day trip in the spring or during the fall colors.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

All Dressed UpAll Dressed Up
All Dressed Up

The Ozark Mural - Bank of the Ozarks - Ozark AR
Coke On DeliveryCoke On Delivery
Coke On Delivery

The Ozark Mural - Bank of the Ozarks - Ozark AR
Steam LocomotiveSteam Locomotive
Steam Locomotive

The Ozark Mural - Bank of the Ozarks - Ozark AR
Haze Obscured The ViewHaze Obscured The View
Haze Obscured The View

Mount Magazine State Park AR
I Love WildflowersI Love Wildflowers
I Love Wildflowers

Mount Magazine State Park AR
And ButterfliesAnd Butterflies
And Butterflies

Mount Magazine State Park AR
A Cliff HangerA Cliff Hanger
A Cliff Hanger

Petit Jean State Park AR
Cedar Creek Trail Below Cedar FallsCedar Creek Trail Below Cedar Falls
Cedar Creek Trail Below Cedar Falls

Petit Jean State Park AR
Lake BaileyLake Bailey
Lake Bailey

Petit Jean State Park AR
Splendid Wildflower DisplaySplendid Wildflower Display
Splendid Wildflower Display

Petit Jean State Park AR
Davies Bridge Over Cedar CreekDavies Bridge Over Cedar Creek
Davies Bridge Over Cedar Creek

Petit Jean State Park AR
Only The Fireplace RemainsOnly The Fireplace Remains
Only The Fireplace Remains

Petit Jean State Park AR
Beautiful VistasBeautiful Vistas
Beautiful Vistas

Mount Nebo State Park AR
Another CCC ProjectAnother CCC Project
Another CCC Project

Mount Nebo State Park AR
Lakes TooLakes Too
Lakes Too

Mount Nebo State Park AR


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb