Pipe Spring & Antelope Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
July 6th 2011
Published: July 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Antelope CanyonAntelope CanyonAntelope Canyon

It was very hard to choose which pictures to post, especially because I am relying on a regular window and Paint, rather than Photoshop and Zoom Browser.
We keep pondering whether or not to drive unmanaged, possibly dangerous roads with no cell coverage or services just to say we've been to Parashant National Monument. Their website says you must get a good map only available in St George or Pipe Spring, so we changed our plans and started out visiting Pipe Spring National Monument southwest of Fredonia today. It is one of fairly few places on the Arizona Strip (the land between the Grand Canyon and Vermilion Cliffs in northern Arizona) where there is fresh water. Native Americans cultivated crops here sporadically, but then it was discovered by Mormon missionary Jacob Hamblin. The land around it was later purchased by James Whitmore and other Mormons, which caused tension between them and the Navajo. Liam was being a bit of a pill, so we took a short walk through the museum and around the grounds. There is a house, stone building used by the Mormon militia, garden, animal pens, and, of course, the spring.

Upon our return to Page, we set out on a tour of Antelope Canyon. We hadn't planned on doing one this trip, but the photo on a brochure was too gorgeous to pass up. We took a ride on a not-quite monster truck on the highway and sand to the canyon itself, and then took an hour or so with Andrew, our tour guide, who did a very nice job suggesting photos, pointing out formations, explaining the geology. The sand in the canyon has risen substantially over the last 10-12 years, making me wonder how long it will be available for visiting. Jeff asked how deep the sand is underneath. The answer was "no one knows".

Andrew suggested the Dam Bar & Grille for dinner which turned out to be an exceptional choice. Our waiter Jerry was very chatty and good. The boys ate their pasta like there was no tomorrow. Jeff had a huge, spicy burger, along with Alaskan Amber, meaning I actually drove some this trip!

- - - - -

Today, we learned what Cole did during Zoo Camp. He has been unwilling to tell us before, but brought up all sorts of stuff today (about chinchillas, parrots, his teacher Todd, and petting a cockroach.)

I forgot to take my meds.

Conversation of the Day:
K - I thought one of my boys might like
LonghornLonghornLonghorn

Seriously, this was one big dude. He watched us from behind his fence at Pipe Spring.
to color each of the bands a different color . Wouldn't that look good?
L - No, because I prefer realism.

High Temperature: 100, in Page AZ
Low Tempearture: 70, in Jacob Lake AZ

Miles: 298

Geocaches Found: 11

Projects Knitted: Wool Felted Mitered Bowl




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

I <heart> Antelope CanyonI <heart> Antelope Canyon
I <heart> Antelope Canyon

This is a trick of the camera, not visible with the naked eye.
View of Navajo BridgeView of Navajo Bridge
View of Navajo Bridge

I think that's me out in the middle of the bridge. I was finding the correct coordinates.
Where's Mom?Where's Mom?
Where's Mom?

Okay, I was just outside of the picture frame. I'm not that brave yet.
Boulder HouseBoulder House
Boulder House

Again, we only discovered this through geocaching.
More Vermilion CliffsMore Vermilion Cliffs
More Vermilion Cliffs

I actually kind of appreciate the photos I take through the window while in the truck pulling the camper down a highway at 70 miles an hour, conservatively.
Silly ColeSilly Cole
Silly Cole

at Antelope Canyon
Family PortraitFamily Portrait
Family Portrait

I really wish sometimes that I had that program that lets you choose which shot of each person to include.
Where's Jeff?Where's Jeff?
Where's Jeff?

When I bought this shirt, I wasn't picturing hat and camera.


25th July 2011

The Southwest Rocks!
The title says it all - you've got some terrific photos here!

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb