Day 5 - Grand Canyon...i also got my kick on Route 66


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
December 2nd 2009
Published: December 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Well after a pretty easy going day yesterday it was time for an early start....like 0600 early. We got up and picked up our Hire car which is huge and set off towards the Grand Canyon. It was 5 hour drive. Along the way we stopped at Hoover Dam to take some photos. That was pretty good, you can't really get an idea of how big it is until you see it. Because we were there so early in the morning we couldn't do any tours or anything, so after stopping for about 10 minutes we were back on the road towards the Grand Canyon. We took a little detour to take in a bit of American History, a trip down Route 66. All i could think of when we were driving down it was "get your kicks on route 66" for those of you who don't appreciate music, its a song by nat king cole. we drove into a town called Peach Springs which was the inspiration for the little town in the movie "Cars" which is called radiator springs. We took some photos here aswell and then got back onto the interstate for another 2 hour drive towards our destination. Once we finally found where we were going it was incredible. The Grand Canyon is exactly that!!! It was hard to comprehend the size of it, until i helicopter flew into the canyon and it looked soooo small!! We stayed here for about 3 hours until it started to get dark. The temperature reached below zero once the sun had set. We were freezing, there was snow on the ground from a couple of days ago and it certainly felt like more was on the way. Just as we were leaving we were treated to a nice surprise that only a few of us were able to see. One the way out there was an Elk (Buck/Reindeer) on the side of the road eating the grass. He was huge and such an amazing thing to see around Christmas. Check out the photo....Anyway, we left the Grand Canyon at about 1630 and it was dark (yes it gets dark here very early). Got back to Las Vegas at about 2130 and we decided to hit the strip for our last night in vegas, we went back to the bellagio and played the tables and drank for about 2 hours. We watched the Fountains of Bellagio and it was awesome, looked awesome, sounded awesome. Theres lots of videos on youtube if you want to see. worth a watch. After the gambling we went back to the Hotel for our last night before we head to San Diego tomorrow.
Speak to ya's then


Damo


Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb