Rafting the Colorado River


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
July 26th 2005
Published: July 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

First and most important, Nancy is still alive and did NOT fall out of the boat!!!!!

Okay, now for the day. It is becoming an Griswold family adventure as we stayed in the Hualapai Lodge (prononced Wall-a-pie but Julie couldn't get it so she just called it the Oompah Loompah Lodge - no disrespect to our Native American friends intended of course!) If you plan to visit next summer call your breakfast order in today and it might be ready, maybe... The restaurant is simply the worst we've experienced but we are truly in the middle of NOWHERE and they are the only game in town (Literally!).

We took a school bus on a bumpy 45 minute ride to the bottom of the canyon where we saw wild burros (and, no, we were not just looking at Ron and Bob) and lots of gorgeous canyons walls. We boarded our boats and hit class 2 rapids immediately. The canyon took its first victim early as Bob's hat flew off his head on the first good bump!!! Just after the first rapid, our boat engine died - what a surprise - Duggan, our Native American guide of few words, used first aid tape to get it started again. This happened 4 or 5 times during the trip. We experienced class 2 through class 5 rapids. The class 5 are as good as most amusement park rides only scarier because there are no shoulder harnesses!! The views were spectacular and we've discovered that it is impossible to capture the true beauty with a camera. We took a helicopter out of the canyon and then a long bus ride back to the lodge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Bob and the girls on the raftBob and the girls on the raft
Bob and the girls on the raft

Bobby gave up his hat since he has more hair!!!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb