Day Trip to Imperial Dam LTVA and YPG


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Yuma
December 6th 2010
Published: December 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

When we visit an area, I like to check out the local Bureau of Land Management (BLM) campgrounds. We carry a Honda 3500i generator when on the road, and though it is improbable that we will ever use it for dry camping or boondocking, I enjoy visiting the areas where it will come in handy if needed.

So, while we are spending a month in a posh RV resort in Yuma, I talked my Trail Boss and our pup into heading out on a day trip to investigate opportunities for dry camping in the area.

We visited the nearby Imperial Dam Long Term Visitor Area (LTVA) which was created in 1983 to fulfill the needs of winter visitors and to protect the local desert ecosystem from over-use.

The “campground” is approximately 3,500 acres in size, flat landscape, sparsely vegetated with plants such as Creosote bushes, Palo Verde trees, Ironwood trees, Mesquite trees and various species of cacti.

There are no designated camping areas; you set up where there is available and attractive space. To be honest, there is not much attractive space; more like available space in a desert landscape. And there are no “hookups;” electric, water or sewer.

To my way of thinking, most of these folk are seeking a warmer winter climate than they would shiver through back home; more than a warm and posh winter. But, “Each to his own,” said the cowboy as he kissed his horse!

So, truth be told, we like posh. From what we can tell, none of the desert setting offer heated swimming pools, shuffle board or bocce. Sure, we’ve seen some golf balls here and there; so golf can be played almost anywhere. And I guess if you were up to it, sand bocce can be played too.

To get to this Shangri-La, we drove through the US Army Yuma Proving Ground; located 26 miles north of Yuma, Arizona on U.S. Hwy 95. This military installation covers nearly 1,400 square miles and offers climate and terrain similar to major desert areas worldwide. YPG is primarily involved in developmental and operational test of artillery weapons and ammunition, aircraft armament systems, mobility equipment, and air delivery systems.
I could go on and on, but I won’t. Enjoy the photos of our day trip to Imperial Dam Long Term Visitor Area, and the Yuma Proving Ground. I took the liberty of placing myself in an old helicopter which is part of an exhibit at the YPG.

Paddy




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



7th December 2010

enjoy
As alwys, I'm enjoying your trips through the narratives and pictures---keep me on the list. Nancy wrote that you were having a "diverticulis" flare-up and sure hope you are now OK. Phyllis still here (with the rabbit) and am taking the kids to Pappadeaux tonight to satisfy my urge for fried catfish! Have a good Winter in the sun. Tom D
7th December 2010

Hilarious
funny funny!!
10th December 2010

Business Idea
Paddy: Sounds like Buc-ee's could make a mint by opening a location there. Campers at that campground might be lined up out the front door just use the Buc-ee's "legendary restrooms"!

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb