The most interesting desert in the world -- Sonoran desert and surroundings


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
December 20th 2017
Published: December 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Tucson area


Finally I am here!

It's a place that always fascinated me, with these tall cacti and a surprising variety of other plants and animals.

I was based in the suburbs of Tucson, a desert valley surrounded by mountains. I stayed in a golf complex, but not to play golf! Complex was just on th eside of Tucson mountain park, which is linked to Saguaro national park. The Saguaro is the name of these tall cacti. They kind of replace trees in the ecosystem, as the birds perch on them, and nest in them as well.

Timing was not good for the reptiles, (beginning of December), but perfect for humans, (6-9 Celsius in the night, 18-23 Celsius in the day). :-)

This place is known by children all over the world, as the setting for the cartoon of the "coyote and the roadrunner".

We saw wild coyotes, roadrunners, deers and pecaris, (javelinas), which are a bit like wild boars. These animals were visible in the streets of the complex. They built it with wildlife corridors and the wildlife uses it!!

Highlights:

1- Saguaro national park: the real desert experience, with many trails, and interpretative trails.

2- Mount Lemmon car climb: As you climb, you see the vegetation changes, (cacti then mostly grasses then mostly conifers), ravines and beautiful views of the desert valleys. It must be pleasant to do during summer, when the heat is almost unbearable in the desert's valley.

3- Buenos Aires wildlife refuge: south of Tucson, this region has very distinctive and rare ecosystems, like tall grasslands, (where american antelope can be found), and riparian, (forest along a river)

4- Arizona desert museum: a cross between a zoo, a museum, with lots of interaction.



Enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb