From Bad to Beautiful


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
June 22nd 2007
Published: June 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Elliot (the poison ivy getting better thanks to Dr. Mike) wakes up just as I'm trying to fall asleep. He is thrashing with pain and for the next two hours has all of the symptoms of a migrane-type headache. Pain so bad that I was near tears and quite a bit of throwing up. Perhaps a reaction to the altitude or medication. All this in an RV -- parked outside of our free spirit friend Hazel's bachelor apartment -- that had no electricity or water at the time. We were jumping over Kevin to get to the bathroom and trying not to wake Mark since we were leaving at 5 a.m. We got on the road only to discover that the fridge was on the wrong setting and a lot of the food ruined and the water that Mark filled the tank with was very accidentally drained by me. Also, a small repair we had hoped to get fixed had to be delayed because the RV has to be cool (translation: Millie is still leaking transmission fluid). All this and the haggard feeling of four hours of sleep was erased as we drove into Arizona and spent a couple of hours in the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest. From the pink dessert hues to the pueblo pictographs to the petrified wood, we all enjoyed every minute. We drove through the afternoon and arrived in Sendona just before sunset to see the Red Rock and Oak River Canyons in great light. The Campground is nice, with a creek running through it so Mark and the boys (including Hazel who has joined us until Sunday) are going fishing in the a.m. We haven't had much internet access and I'm hoping we'll have some time tomorrow so Elliot and Kevin can share some of their thoughts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Junior Park RangersJunior Park Rangers
Junior Park Rangers

The National Parks have a great program in which the kids complete some fact finding workbooks and submit them to park rangers who review them (and spend time asking them questions) and then give them a badge and have them take a pledge about protecting our national parks. Very cool.


22nd June 2007

Love the hats,guys! Wish we were with you to see all the beauty you are seeing. And Elliot, we're sorry you were so sick. Stay better and enjoy the Grand Canyon.
22nd June 2007

Hi
Sounds like some of the best memories in the world!!! I am enjoying "traveling" with you. Stay cool. Give Millie a kiss ;)....Ann
25th June 2007

sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!
you guys look totally awesome in the hats. get one for me.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb