Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, North Rim Grand Canyon, and even some rain!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Page
August 4th 2017
Published: August 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Last time I visited Antelope Canyon, I showed up the day before to book our next morning tour. This time, I had a look months ahead on internet, than I forgot to take action. Two weeks before the trip, I had another look on the web. Well, for our day, only the 6.30am tour was left....at least, that one was still available! So I just booked....but we were actually sleeping in Kanab the night before. Well, we would just have to wake up at 4am, not the end of the world to have a great and very early start of the day!



The sunrise on the way and above Lake Powell was just stunning. But no way we could be late, so I kept driving. Our tour was actually full booked too, so was not a bad thing to book...even if a little late. Antelope is not a cheap option, 100usd for both of us, and that's the cheapest option....but even on the second time, five years later, it was another amazing experience!



We were actually on the lucky side. Last afternoon, the region has had some showers around. The canyon can filed at full speed and become a pretty dangerous place...so they had to stop in the middle of one visit, and the last two visits of the day were cancelled! Those people get a refund, but as all other tours are fully booked, forget about visiting Antelope the next morning!



Our guide was a pretty cool one, and he showed me few things I didn't see last time. The best tour is the 10.30am, as the sun comes from way higher, and you can see some special lights into the Canyon....not for us! The ground was still muddy from the rain the day before, making it a weirder experience! Enjoy the pictures, we had fun taking them...those are taken with my new camera as well as Tanya phone. We were also lucky with the group we were sharing the experience....mainly families, and no big on cameras.....meaning, everybody had the time to truly have their space whenever we wanted...nice!



The good news with the first tour...you are done by 8am, and the day is yours. We could have an early check-in at the Courtyard by Marriott....on points...because room rates are insane in Page in the middle of the Summer. What is funny too is that they have an Aman next to Page, something like 1600usd per night....and than, there is the Courtyard..nothing in between....crazy gap!



We drove the short ride to Horseshoe Bend...and the light was at his best just before 9am! But the crowds....in January, there must have been 20 people here. Today, it's more like over 500....and half of them are Chinese...with another 25% speaking French...weird mix! Whatever, the place is still amazing. They still haven't put any security fences, I'm just wondering how many young things taking selfies must have dropped to their dead...no idea!



Next, the long ride to the Grand Canyon....did it in the winter with the kids....did alone the flight from Vegas than the helicopter....but both of them were from the crowded South Rim. The North Rim is closed during winter...way too often they have huge snow here....so we went to the North Rim, and I can tell you, the experience is way better than the South Rim. First, they have way less tourists here....way less....but a good 3/4 of them are....no, not Chinese....but French....smile! No idea what is going on with half of France here!



The visit to the North rim is just way more fun and less crowded than the one to the South Rim! i have simply no idea when is my next visit here...maybe that is it...maybe not...



Next, you can guess, we are moving East....for the best!


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb