Lone Rock Adventure Paddling Narrows Lake Powell


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Page
November 26th 2012
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.9086, -111.473

Our next day at Lone Rock we all decided to cross over to the other side and go up into the slot canyon we had been in before. Got our lunches packed and set off. It was a beautiful, clear and verrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyy calm day. This is one of the reasons we love to go at this time because it is so calm.

It seemed so easy paddling across to the other side and heading up into some of the canyons to check things out. Because it was so calm the reflections were incredible. We all kept stopping to take one more picture of the reflections!

Sky, Robert and I stopped and got out of our boats to take some pictures of the Lone Rock and walk around and stretch our legs. Because the lake had been lowered recently, it was muddy when you got out and so had to clean our shoes carefully before getting back in the boats. It was also slippery!

Robert had read that they were going to release five times the amount of water down into the canyon below to simulate a flood stage release. It would also clean out much of the buildup along the shores down in the area that goes through the Grand Canyon.

From there we headed into the slot canyon. You know where it is by finding the upside down "ice cream cone" on the shore. Yeah, right. Not sure I would call it an ice cream cone but hopefully we will be able to find it if we ever go by ourselves!

It is so cool in there because it has tall sides, great reflections and goes on for quite a ways. Enjoyable as always to be in the company of Sky and Bobbi as well.

Sky was showing off the many great features of the camera he was using. It can do some pretty amazing things and is much lighter and smaller than the 7D.

After lunch we all headed back to the campsite and began to break down and getting ready for the next part of our adventure. Bobbi and Sky had commitments back home and so could only spend this short but wonderful time with us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.053s; cc: 16; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0926s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb