Eclectica


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
June 2nd 2016
Published: June 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

No one volunteered to write today's blogs, so it's me again.

Our day started out much later than we would have liked because the motor home decided not to start. (It also decided not to level, not to let the front window shade move.) That is not an ideal situation in the first third of a vacation, or perhaps at any point in a vacation. Thankfully, Tim at Sourdough is a master mechanic and had lots of ideas for Jeff. (He's the chef, so he couldn't go look at our camper until after breakfast hours were over.) At one point, Jeff tried something he had suggested and the power came back on. Okay, then.

The trip to Fairbanks was not a long one. Road conditions were similar. There was some construction, but not a terrible amount and none that really cause delays. We saw a few odd things along the way. We stopped at the Santa Claus House to find one of my souvenirs and send a couple postcards. We caught our first glimpse of the pipeline. We stopped at Rika's Roadhouse, one of the few that remain open from the early days of the highway. Closer to Fairbanks, we saw fighter jets take off and helicopters hovering above.

---

Miles Driven: 218

High Temperature: 68 in Tok, Alaska

Low Temperature: 49 in Tok, Alaska

Geocaches Found: 2

Creatures Seen: moose

Approximate Yards Knit: 69

Conversation of the Day:
K: Did you fix it?
J: Accidentally.
K: How do you accidentally fix something?

We forgot jumper cables and didn't think to bring a volt-ohm tester.

We learned there actually is an outside temperature gauge in the camper. We also learned it doesn't appear to be that accurate.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

BridgeBridge
Bridge

There aren't many bridges on the highway constructed like this.


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb