Day 13 Denali


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
May 27th 2016
Published: May 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

image.image.image.

Dave doing some sled dog smooching
Breakfast at the Black Bear Coffee House. Best dadgum homemade biscuits ever...

The menfolk took a bus into Denali National Park to figure out what we wanted to see during our one day visit. Sally and I did the laundry - probably for the last time on this adventure.

Today is red-nose day, hence the photo. Sally quickly volunteered to be the photographer.

Denali means "The Great One" in the native Athabascan language. Last year the official name was changed back to Denali from Mt. McKinley. It is the highest peak in North America at 20,310 feet above sea level. Denali National Park covers 6 million acres. A shuttle from the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge delivered us to the Denali Visitor Center. Another shuttle took us to the sled dog demonstration. We interacted with the 32 Alaskan huskies - amazing dogs. 'Polly' was smitten with Dave! We learned that although they resemble wolves, they are not related. They hitched up a team of 5 dogs: 2 lead dogs, 2 swing dogs, and a wheel dog. They usually run 8-12 mph and they can pull 50-100 lbs per dog. These 32 dogs work all winter delivering food and supplies throughout the park.
We did see a mother moose and her nine day old calf in the park.
It's been a cold (38°) and sometimes drizzly day. We were happy to go back to our Winnie's and warm up - some of us napped and some of us shopped... You can probably guess who did what.

Dinner tonight at "The World Famous Denali Salmon Bake". It's supposed to be an Alaskan landmark. We'll let you know!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

image.image.
image.

Bundled up


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb