Day 14 Denali to Wasilla 211miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Wasilla
May 28th 2016
Published: May 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Woke up this morning to overcast skies and 40 degrees, but thankfully no rain. Drove into the Park. The boys went on a trail hike and the girls went to the visitor center and shopped at the bookstore. We did see our first moose yesterday in the park. By the time we left, the sun had come out and it was much more pleasant. Denali National Park covers 6 million acres (larger than the state of New Hampshire). Two million of those acres are designated wilderness.

Dinner last night was at Salmon Bake Restaurant--it was a hoot--not a level floor in the place--Peggy had a hard time keeping Dave from sliding into her (see pic).

Excellent breakfast this morning at the beautiful King Salmon Restaurant, part of the Denali Princess Hotel. The rainbow RV park leaves a lot to be desired, however you cannot beat it for location. It's great to just walk across the street to the Princess Hotel and catch the shuttle buses to the park.
As we drove south towards Anchorage, the sky became cloudless and they're worth numerous pullovers where we had magnificent views of Danali. They say she's only fully visible 30% of the time. We were getting a little discouraged with the weather but now it is perfect and 72°.
We stopped for lunch at Trapper Creek. We then motor on to Wasilla, Home to Sarah Palin. She was the mayor of Wasilla (fifth largest city in Alaska with the population of 7000) and then governor of Alaska and then….well you know the rest. It was a little disappointing though in that we didn't see Sarah Palin or Tina Fey. And I looked and looked but could not see Russia, she must've been standing on a chair. We did find a great campsite called Big Bear RV Park between Wasilla and Palmer, Alaska. Couldn't decide what we were going to do for dinner so we ordered a pizza. This is a great little campsite in very reasonable. It is so great to have nice weather.
Odometer 3950


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

image.image.
image.

Dinner at Salmon Bake


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb