Day 34,35 & 36… Palmer & Valdez, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 14th 2015
Published: July 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Seward HighwaySeward HighwaySeward Highway

note the blue skies!!
Today we managed to get at least 30 minutes between coughing fits, so I think we are on the road to recovery! We sure had a doozy of some kind of bronchial illness! Food tastes good too again, & we had chicken fettuccine alfredo for supper in the RV tonight. Saturday we drove the beautiful Seward Highway back north to Anchorage & then the Glenn Highway to Palmer where we stayed one night at Mountain View RV Park. I didn’t feel like cooking Saturday night so we went to Palmer Ale House for pizza. After that our sore throats were screaming for ice cream so we each had a mini blizzard at Dairy Queen; boy was that good! We arrived in wet, cloudy Valdez yesterday (Sunday) mid afternoon. Another beautiful drive albeit clouds & rain obstructing the mountain peaks. We saw a moose with her two babies on the side of the highway. We are camped out at Bear Creek RV Park just outside of town for 3 nights. For the first time on this trip, we had to set up in the rain & it has been raining nearly nonstop. We have cable TV & great wifi; so we are not roughing it too bad! It is probably the most beautiful part of Alaska we have seen yet, although the clouds really hamper the view of the tall mountains that surround this seaside village. The mountains are from sea level to 7000 feet & there are lots of glaciers & waterfalls. Valdez is where the Alaska Pipeline ends carrying oil from Prudhoe Bay on the north side of Alaska. There is a large pipeline terminus here, where they load the tankers, but tight security prevents the public from getting anywhere close to it. We drove to Alison Point at high tide late this morning for a walk & to see brown bears that come to the point to eat salmon, according to what we have read. We walked 2 miles & had our bear spray & bells with us but didn’t see any bears! We will go back later this evening to see if there are any bears dining on salmon! There is still lots of daylight in Alaska; sunrise at 4:30 & sunset at 11:07!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



15th July 2015

Wow....you sound like you both have a "doozy" of a cold. Hope you are feeling better.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb