Day 26 & 27 Homer


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 4th 2015
Published: July 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Every day of this trip just keeps getting better & better as we explore this 365 million acre state!! Our drive Thursday was to Homer, which is on the southern tip of the Kenai Peninsula. The highway on our route has a triple designation; National Forest Scenic Byway, All-American Road & Alaska Scenic Byway. Indeed, it was very scenic as a good portion of the highway hugs the west side of the Kenai Peninsula, which is called, Cook Inlet. Beautiful snow capped mountains every direction we looked, even though low clouds did hamper our views a bit. We are camped out right along Cook Inlet for 4 nights at Ocean View RV Park; very nice park overlooking the ocean, gorgeous mountains & ocean out our front door. Now I must mention this crazy tide they have here in Homer. The tides here are the 3rd largest in the world, with the difference between the highest & lowest tide at 23 feet yesterday. It is amazing to watch! The tide is dependent on moon phase & as full moon was last night, the tide was extremely high. As it was going out last night, I was all excited thinking I saw a whale in the water & on further inspection, it was a huge rock that was not visible under the water when we arrived! We walked along the beach last night at low tide & it was unbelievable how far out it was to the edge of the water. Homer is the “halibut fishing capital of the world”, therefore, there is a huge harbor filled with a vast number of boats, all sizes! It is fun to watch the boats come & go with their catch of the day. The harbor is on the Homer Spit, which is a long gravel bar jutting out from the mainland. During the earthquake, the spit dropped 6 feet! It is 4 1/2 miles in length & filled with shops, restaurants, fishing charter companies & tour boat companies. We had a very tasty lunch at Captain Pattie’s of deep fried halibut, coleslaw & the best clam chowder I have ever had. We are planning a day of halibut fishing Tuesday & have scheduled a day of salmon fishing Sunday. My honey woke up this morning with a sore, scratchy throat & he faded during the day so he is in bed with a fever of 103!! Nurse, JaNell, is making sure he gets Tylenol/ibuprofen every four hours & plenty of fluids to kick this in the butt fast! I guess I will be walking the beach alone tonight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb