The last few weeks


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 13th 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Crazy OfficeThe Crazy OfficeThe Crazy Office

My boss' office after decorating with balloons and streamers
I know it has been a while since I last updated my blog. I have had many adventures the past few weeks.

June 26th was my boss's birthday, so the girls in the office decided to surprise her. We decorated her office the night before with streamers and balloons and then we also baked her a peach pie which is her favorite. In the morning she came in and was completely surprised and we lit candles in the pie and sang happy birthday. We were close to setting the office on fire because we used trick candles and sparks were flying. Then that night we had a very large campfire party for her and it was a lot of fun and went into the wee hours of the morning.

On June 28th, I went into Anchorage to drop off my boss's brother at the airport and then went to the air force base open house. There was an air show which was great to see and there were also a bunch of planes on display. Some of the planes you could even go inside so we took full advantage of that. We did find that the air force guys
The Birthday Girl!The Birthday Girl!The Birthday Girl!

My boss with tiara and birthday pie.
were not the friendliest bunch. We tried asking questions and got ignored a few times. But it was still a great time.

Last weekend I spent the 4th of July in Seward for their festival. There is also a race called Mount Marathon which happens every year. This is a race up to the top of a mountain and back again. It is such an intense race and the mountain is so steep that when people come down a lot of them end up sliding down. Some people cross the finish line bruised and bloody. The manager of my company ran it and he has done so for the past few years. There are many things one must do in order to qualify for this race so it is very selective as to who gets to enter. There is a mens, womens and children's race, each of which starts at different times. The record time to finish the race is about 43 minutes, just imagine going up and down a mountain in that amount of time...it is insane.

Last Saturday, July 5th, I had the pleasure of going to a Kenai Oilers minor league game. This was nice
Jello Shots!Jello Shots!Jello Shots!

This seemed like a great idea after taking jello shots. One of our numerous office girls pictures.
to get out of camp for a while, even though I really don't care for baseball. I really didn't end up watching a whole lot of the game, but I do know that they won.

This past week I spent in Seward. I stayed at a hostel on Thursday night and then Friday I went on the Kenai Fjords tour. It was an amazing tour. We were on a largely sized boat with about 130 other people. We were lucky because it was not raining and the seas were calm. It was overcast and cool but at least we stayed dry. The trip lasted about 6 hours where we were able to journey into Resurrection Bay. Shortly on our journey we spotted a couple sea otters and were able to take some pictures. They were very cute and they were just swimming and playing around with each other. We journeyed on and were able to see sea lions, seals, puffins and humpback whales. I had never seen anything like the whales. We saw some adults, juveniles and a mother with her calf. They were close to the boat and it was an experience I could not have imagined to
Julie 004Julie 004Julie 004

Megan and me at the air force base.
be any better. We were also fortunate enough to stop at Holgate Glacier. This was a fantastic sight. It was huge and very clean. Many glaciers have a lot of sediment in them but this one did not have much so the blue and white colors were brilliant. We stopped the boat at the glacier for a while where we were able to see the glacier calving off. This sight was awesome. You first heard a sound similar to thunder and then there would be chunks of ice which fell off into the water.

On Saturday, I went for a hike all by my lonesome out to Cresent Lake. This is a hike many people like to do and then camp out by the lake. The hike is moderate and took about 2.5 hours each way. Most of the hike was through forest and there were points where it followed Cresent Creek. I made it to the lake and it was a pristine place to be at. There were many campers there and people fishing once I got to the lake but the trail itself was pretty secluded.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Play BallPlay Ball
Play Ball

Scoop the mascot at the Oilers baseball game
On Our Way Out To SeaOn Our Way Out To Sea
On Our Way Out To Sea

Me, Heather and Trina aboard our ship for the Kenai Fjords Tour.


14th July 2008

Julie - that Marathon sounds crazy! I couldn't help but laugh reading it because I could actually hear you telling the story. :) Your pictures really show everyone what it is like in Alaska. A beauty most people will never see! You are so lucky, and enjoy the rest of your time there. We all miss you so much and are counting down the days until your return!!!!

Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb