Kayaking with Tom


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
July 17th 2013
Published: June 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast of ChampionsBreakfast of ChampionsBreakfast of Champions

Fuelin up for a 9 miles of kayakin
Geo: 61.1308, -146.348

Day One of Kayaking to Shoup Glacier! We saw salmon jumping out of the water and bald eagles. We passed right through dozens of fishing boats that reminded me of that show Deadliest Catch (Tom said that, actually, some of the boats were likely to be in that show). I thought kayaking for miles would be more exhausting than it was but the water was calm and glassy all morning. Midday we stopped for lunch of pasta salad. Then we kayaked some more.

We made it halfway to the glacier by midafternoon, picked out our camping spot and set up camp with Tom. He did all the cooking and alot of the set-up. He kept insisting on doing it himself. But that was weird for us. We had to help- not just 'cause there wasn't much else to do besides explore (which we did multiple times in all directions) but because it just seemed rude. He made us amazing salmon tacos for dinner. And our campsite looked like something out of an REI catalog. I was blown away, again, by the natural beauty of the place. Chris taught me how to skip rocks on the water and we found an old mine. Also, my allergies kicked into high gear. I managed to wake up with my eye swollen shut from allergic conjunctivitis. Hawt, I know.


Additional photos below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Kayak TetrisKayak Tetris
Kayak Tetris

..somehow everything fit...


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb