Day 13 - Kathleen Lake, Yukon to Tok, Alaska 5/29/2015


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
May 29th 2015
Published: May 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Kathleen Lake, Yukon to Tok, Alaska


After a great nights sleep at Kathleen Lake, we headed back up the Haines Highway to Haines Junction. We spotted the RV park that we had originally planned to stop at, and were happy with the decision we had made to stop at Kathleen Lake. The RV park, Fast Gas RV park, was located at a gas station with not one tree to be seen.

The drive north brought us by Kluane Lake, the largest lake in the Yukon territory. It is approx. 154 sq miles. Seemed as though the lake went on forever, and made our large lakes back home seem like small ponds. Then came the ice-field ranges of the St. Elias Mountains, that included Canada's highest mountain, Mount Logan at 19,545ft. There are also 6 other peaks over 16,000 ft. Needless to say, they were very impressive. At around 50 miles south of Beaver Creek, the road became very rough, with many frost heaves, potholes and dips which sent the RV flying. This came shortly after we had just commented on how great the AlCan had been. Guess we spoke too soon. This continued until we reached Beaver Creek, where we decided to stop for lunch at Buckshot Betty's, and relax a little. Back on the road, we discovered that the road surface did not improve much, and there were also a few areas where they were resurfacing the road. At Port Alcan, we stopped at U.S. Customs. We were ordered to hand over our dangerous contraband, our high risk tomatoes and eggs. Bummer. I had boiled 4 eggs this morning, wished I had boiled all of them. Seems as though each border crossing had their own list of items they would ask about. At least they didn't make us eat all our bananas. The rest of the ride to Tok was rolling hills and forests, and nothing eventful. We found our RV park, Tok RC Village, and it is a gem. The ladies went to the market to pick up some additional groceries, including more tomatoes and eggs. I swear the border agent is running a vegetable stand on her free time.

Had a great supper and gathered with the group for our cocktail hour before retreating to our rigs. Finishing up todays Blog, then heading off to bed. Very tired today, I think it was the rough roads that did us in.



By the way, for those reading our blog, if you haven't already done so, we enjoy if you post a comment on the site. Hope you are all enjoying our trip as much as we are.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



29th May 2015

Hi All, really enjoying your trip along with you. Love the scenery. Just beautiful country. Stay safe and continue posting.
29th May 2015

can't wait
reading your blog is one of the first things that i do each morning. Sounds like you are having a great time, and the weather sure seems to be cooperating with you. I hope it cooperates for KC and I in late July
29th May 2015

a fan
have followed you from Boston to Tok. As I mentioned before we are making the trip next May. Two couples in two 28 footers. So glad Ray told me about this blog. I've been saving all your blogs for future reference. Our wives are not too sure about this voyage so your notations are enlightening. So who is doing the blog? Very very nicely done. Quite entertaining. Nice to see after 13 days you're still smiling. Well at least when the cameras on.
29th May 2015
Chillin' again

Great Narrative
Just finished reading the last two updates. You are right about the scenery. Your pictures are excellent and give us a good feel for the views. Keep them coming and stay safe.
29th May 2015

Great pictures enjoying the Blog
Ray and Sandy: Got your link from Frank P and am all caught up. Terrific photos and the Skagway pictures brought back memories. Continue to enjoy the trip and stay safe. Say Hi for us to the other members of the "cat herd". George
29th May 2015

Hey George, had you on our e-mail list, so do not know why you have not been getting notifications. Check your spam folder.
29th May 2015

WOW
Your blog has been so interesting. So far I like your lunch stops and cocktail hours. Also love your "critter encounters". Favorite picture is Ray with the dog. Have fun....
30th May 2015
Chillin' again

Stuff
It has been so enjoyable reading your daily activities on the travel blog! The photos are wonderful. Nothing like the great BIG outdoors and being surrounded by such beauty! I'm anxious to hear how y'all feel when you get behind the wheel of your own car upon your return and back to every day "local" scenery. Tiny I think! Keep the blog coming! Here's to y'all ?. P.S. kudos to the guys driving those RVs!
1st June 2015

Cat herding comments superb!!!
So….…It seems as though your RV trip is a smashing success & we are so jealous. The pics are phenomenal & your commentary "priceless". Also, it seems like your "wild" side has emerged, you may just give the wildlife a bit of competition. Happy trails!!!
3rd June 2015

Nice country, this America!
Travel safe! EAB

Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb