Day 14 - Tok, Alaska to Denali Nat'l Park, Alaska 5/29/2015


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Tok, Alaska to Denali National Park, Alaska


After a good nights sleep once again, we awoke to another beautiful day. We have been blessed with the weather thus far on this trip. We've had rain twice, once in the Dakota's and a short rain in Skagway, neither of which has affected our trip. They're calling for rain later in the week, when we're supposed to be down on the Kenai Peninsula, so we are hoping they are wrong. After breakfast, we gassed up and filled the propane tank, as it was getting a little low, and headed out for Fairbanks. I have to say, the drive to Fairbanks was the most boring route we've been on this whole trip. It was miles upon miles of forests, with very little animal activity. There was a mountain range on our south side most of the way, but we couldn't see it for the trees.

We stopped in Delta Junction at the visitor center. This is where the Alaska Highway officially ends at mile marker 1422. They gave us a certificate attesting to the fact that we traveled the entire length, and were very helpful with pictures and information. We hit the road again, with the plan to get to Fairbanks and decide if we were going to stay there for the night, or press on to Denali. After driving through the downtown area looking for a visitor center, we decided to get out of town and head south to Denali. About 10 miles our of town, we stopped at a truck stop to have a quick lunch in the RV. Sandy noticed that there was a store there advertising Fine Wine and Imported Beer, so naturally we went in. I wouldn't call it fine wine, but in a pinch it would do. The prices were very reasonable and they took off 10% due to the quantity that we purchased. I'll be glad to get back to my "Clos Lachance" Cabernet. Gas was 20 cents cheaper than the other stations,, so we filled up the tanks once again, and headed southbound.

Around 25 miles north of Denali NP, the scenery got considerably better, with majestic mountains all around us. The road construction was a pain, but we eventually arrived at the Denali Rainbow RV park, located just outside the entrance to the park. We got all hooked up, had some nachos made up by Sandy, and then had dinner in. After dinner, we all went for a walk around the many shops that are adjacent to the park. No trinkets bought just yet, but we'll be here another day and a half. Had a great ice cream, then retired to the RV to attempt to finish this day's blog. Our plan is to sight see all day tomorrow, and do some fishing as well.

We will leave on Sunday morning and head to the Anchorage area. From there to the Kenai Peninsula for a couple of days.

Mileage today: 323 Miles to date: 3837 Animal count: 3 moose


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement




30th May 2015

Beautiful Trip
Loved following along day by day on your BIG ADVENTURE. Thanks for sharing. We are leaving in a few days for Sweden and the Baltic cruise along with Karen and Bob and 16 others from our high school community. Take care. See you in Naples.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb