4 June 2010 Haines Junction, YT to Tok AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
June 4th 2010
Published: June 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

4 June 2010 Haines Junction, YT to Tok, AK

Got off by 8:30 AK time (we didn’t bother to reset our watches when we came up from Haines, AK). Gena stopped at the post office in Haines Junction to get a special Haines Junction Post mark. Gena & Charlie each bought a couple patches. The Alaska Hwy was pretty good road until we got to Burwash Landing the itn went to h--- in a hand basket !! There were lots of frost heaves (actually frost heave after effects), pot holes, gravel sections, construction delays, etc. Kerry had one flat on his trailer today - - that makes three on this trip. Got a really good view of a grizzly bear by the side of the road. It was just past a Hamburger stand out in the middle of nowhere along Kluane Lake. It looked like the bear was headed to the stand for a burger. After we took off, Charlie & Kerry stayed put and he walked right in front of their car and around the driver’s side and stood up. Charlie captured it on video. Shortly after the bear sighting, we saw a coyote up pretty close. Got several good photos. Later on, along a gravel section of the road, Charlie found a swan sitting on her nest in a beaver pond - - the nest looked as big as a beaver lodge. Her mate was swimming around in the pond feasting on something in the water. After we crossed the border, the over cast increased. The clouds were low enough all day that we could not see the high mountains normally visible from the road. Maybe we’ll get lucky and see them on the way home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Moose along Alaska HwyMoose along Alaska Hwy
Moose along Alaska Hwy

this is a male moose - - notice his stub rack - - they loose their big rack every year.


Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb