2 June 2010 Teslin, YT to Skagway, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Skagway
June 2nd 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Nisutlin Bay BridgeNisutlin Bay BridgeNisutlin Bay Bridge

Early AM photo with almost still water - - Longest water crossing on the Alaska Hwy

Got off by 8:30 after calling the Alaska Marine Highway System and making a reservation to take the ferry from Skagway to Haines (a ride of about an hour!!) The drive from Teslin was pretty plain until we got to Carcross. In Carcross we got to see the Carcross Desert - a field of sand dunes that might be three or four hundred acres in size. Then we started south on the South Klondike Hwy. Just outside of Carcross we saw a sign banning the consumption of alcoholic beverages - - see the photo. We thought that was really funny and unusual. First we stopped at Windy Arm - - a beautiful lake vista with mountains all around. Then up and over the White Pass - - we peaked out at 3300 ft and then down to sea level. That part of the drive was spectacular! Got to see two of the White Pass and Yukon trains chugging their way up the grade across the canyon from where the road runs. Some of the small lakes at the higher elevations were still partially frozen over. Glaciers visible almost everywhere. There are four cruise ships in port. Bus loads of people were going up the mountain as we were going down. Short day, only about 145 miles but 134 photos and no they are NOT all included here. We went downtown after we got to Skagway. The ladies went shopping. Bob & Kerry went down to the docks to see the cruise ships. Bob went into the Ferry Terminal and picked up tickets for the ferry ride tomorrow. When he came out of the terminal, the wind had really picked up and was blowing dense clouds of dust through town. It was a really strong wind - - I would guestimate something over 30 mph. The ferry departs tomorrow at 12:15 and arrives an hour later in Haines. We will run up the Haines Hwy to the Alaska highway and hopefully find a campground in Haines Junction.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Interesting Sign Interesting Sign
Interesting Sign

Near Carcross - - Probably the result of beaurocratic over-reaction to some incident
Charlie & KerryCharlie & Kerry
Charlie & Kerry

Taken where tourists like us erected little rock kairns
White Pass & Yukon TrainWhite Pass & Yukon Train
White Pass & Yukon Train

Notice the passengers hanging out the ends of the cars.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb