Glennallen to Tok


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
June 13th 2008
Published: June 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Glennallen to Tok


Tok Cut-offTok Cut-offTok Cut-off

This is the road from Glennallen to Tok
Feels like summer, as we woke up to blue skies and the sun shining brightly. I was really daring and decided to wear Capri pants today for the second time in a month. Dave actually took off his flannel shirt. We must be Alaskasized because we were really warm with the temperature at 50 degrees as we started our morning.

Good-bye Glennallen. Traveling out on the Tok-cutoff, we had excellent views of the Wrangell Mountains to our south in the morning and then the Mentasta Mountains to our south in the afternoon and the Alaska Range to our north. Half way to Tok, we stopped at Midway Service, where Dave went in for a coffee to go and I tried getting online for their free wi-fi.

After 30 minutes and not being able to get online, I went in to see what was keeping Dave. As I walked onto the front porch I noticed caribou and moose racks hanging above on the rafters. Walking into the store/café the smoke was so thick you could cut it with a knife. There was Dave, standing in the middle of 3 cigarette-puffing local good ole boys having a great conversation.

Stopping at a scenic overlook we ate tuna sandwiches that we made for lunch. A little further down the road we saw a moose standing near the water’s edge of a pond as ducks swam in another pond across the street.

Arriving in Tok (pronounced Toke) we took a campsite at Sourdough Campground. We washed the van and fueled it up and then stocked up on provisions, as we will be heading into Canada soon. We have learned that you buy everything you can before crossing the border. Alaska prices are high, but nothing compared to Canada.

The Seigles and Kenny Snow provide Country and Western Music for our entertainment delight tonight at the campground. They were excellent and Dave bought two of their CDs. They played a lot of Johnny Cash and a little Ricky Nelson and many original tunes they wrote about Alaska. Then it was time for the nightly sourdough pancake toss. Each person gets 2 pancakes to toss at a bucket from about 15 feet. If you get one in you win a free pancake breakfast. Dave disappeared but I tried my hand at it. I was so bad, that the guy hosting the event asked me if I was driving and was relieved when I told him no.

It was a good day. We like it so much we will stay here for another night and just chill for the weekend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Where the Moose wasWhere the Moose was
Where the Moose was

No he left before I could get his picture


Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 93; dbt: 0.1013s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb