Skagway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Skagway
June 10th 2007
Published: June 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

My cruise adventure continues in the small town of Skagway. In winter the town of Skagway only contains 700 residents but during the summer when the tourist swarm the town the population explodes. Most of the summer workers have to live in a tent camp in town and pay 300 dollars a month for an 8 x 8 ft spot. Well finally the famous Alaskan rain caught up with us in Skagway with a cold steady rain. In Skagway I boarded the White Pass and Yukon Railroad to 6 miles to hop off with the hiking group to hike several miles on the Denver trail. The hike was fabulous with a river running besides the trail. The hike went through an old growth forest with massive sitka spruce trees all around. There was still some snow during small parts of the trail but the trails were clear. I didn't encounter any wildlife while on the trail but saw some moose tracks and some bear poop. After the hike our group met the train for a return trip back to the town of Skagway. Hiking was fabulous and hopefully I can come back and do some more. I then walked around town and went to the Red Onion Saloon which was originally a brothel during the Yukon gold rush. Upstairs in the saloon are still original items and beds from the time of the brothel. Learned about how the town of Skagway was a the starting off point for the people heading to the gold mines of the Yukon. If anybody goes to Skagway I suggest taking the free walking tour offered by the tourist center. The next time you hear from me I will be in the town of Ketchikan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.6kb