Hubbard Glacier


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bright and early morning today! We spent the day on the ship, cruising thru Yakutat Bay towards Hubbard Glacier.

Sounds amazing, eh?

Well, it was… except we entered the bay at 6:30am haha. SO EARLY.

Everyone was parked out at the front of the ship, or along the side decks on the top floor. I figured ‘screw that. If I’m getting up this early I want a good breakfast and copious amounts of coffee’. We headed to the back of the ship, brought breakfast with us… and for the first 30 or so minutes we were totally by ourselves to enjoy the view.

Unfortunately, around 7-7:15am our secret spot got out 😉

Going into the Bay was a great sight – the water became one huge ice field, with little chunks of glacier floating all around us, creating a weird mixture of goop and shiny blue ice.

We had a stunning view of the glacier once we arrived – our captain brought us quite close, and then he turned the boat and “parked” sideways for about 15min, so from the back-end we had a pristine view. I just love all the shades of blue that glisten in the sun. I also loved the weather – it was cool and fresh, without a bitter cold.

Perfect Alaskan weather =)

After we left the Bay, we headed out to lunch and then to another one of those lecture series – this time about the stars and the Big Bang ahaha. We be nerds.

In the afternoon, Mom had me go to Bingo with her – my first real bingo experience, be proud Deuxnan =)

The night was spent with a final goodbye show by the crew, and encore presentations by one of the singers and the comedian. It was a great time. They also brought just about every crew member up on stage for one huge thank you/goodbye photo. Very well done – I would definitely recommend Celebrity to anyone interested in doing a cruise up in Alaska (or anywhere for that matter). They were a great staff – lots of fun, professional, polite, the whole deal.

And now I’m packing… let the fun begin…!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Hubbard GlacierHubbard Glacier
Hubbard Glacier

Sun coming out, crisper colours


Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb