Alaska, Canada and NYC


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
May 29th 2014
Published: June 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Left home at 0730 for the airport. Got through all the bags, customs, etc. without a hassle and then boarded the plane. On board and the pilot tells us we are leaving 15 mins late on purpose as they were going to make up 1 hr on flight. Not what you want to hear when you already have a 6 hour layover in LA.

Still made up best part of 1 hr anyway. No dramas with bags etc. landed LAX early 0730. Bags finally come out. Cleared customs and transferred bags for next legs of flights and on the footpath at 0845. Now we have a 7 hour layover.

Still decide it is easier and safer to stay on the airport. Walk to terminal 6 to see next flight area. Decide to go in but security lady suggests we go back to international terminal (3) for better shops. Can't get to shops so to terminal 2 for food. Then back to terminal 6 and go through security. All good for my first full body scan....

Need to call tomorrow's tour to get time for departure. Go to gate and get organised for a sleep (about 1100 so plenty of time before our 1530 boarding). Walk to find pay phone and notice Alaska air (our next flight carrier) has a lounge with reciprocal rights to Qantas. Bonus but no card (emptied wallet of surplus cards ) oh dear. Go up and ask if they can check and let us in. 1 phone call and in. Go back and get Chris and settle in to lounge. I go to find pay phone and after 2 trips up and back of the terminal (asked several People who had no idea). Finally found pay phone, got change and 2 calls later all organised.

Back to the lounge and find Chris curled up asleep. A drink and food and I find a few zzz's as well. Real bonus. Finally board next flight to Seattle. Full flight. Arrive Seattle and have about 1.5 hour wait for next flight. Get pizzas and gobble them down and then onto the last flight for the day to Fairbanks Alaska. All good. More sleep. Good views of snow capped mountains poking through the cloud - feels like we are really close to them.

Arrive Fairbanks at 2045. 1st bag off carousel. Finally 2nd bag arrives and we are off. Hotel not too bad. Re-pack bags as we are only allowed 15 pounds each tomorrow On our little plane to Prudhoe Bay. Early start as we have to be back at the airport by 0600. 0500 alarm set and off to sleep after the first day has taken around 34 hours in total.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.376s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb