Alaskan Cruise - Day 11


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Denali
September 4th 2009
Published: September 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

There are only 2 words to describe yesterday's experience, simply amazing! We began the day with a stop at the Denali National Park. We saw a beautifully done video on the ecology of the area. There was also a great display of the history of the park & the animals there.

After the visitor's center, we then left on a tour of the park. IT WAS INCREDIBLE! We saw some unbelievable wildlife (No I'm not talking about activity in the back of the bus.) Our viewing included: moose, grizzly bears, a red fox, snowshoe hares, arctic ground squirrels, caribou, wolves, golden eagles. Plus we saw the granddaddy of all things to see, Mt. McKinley. We are now in the 30% club (only 30% of the people that come to Denali actually get to see the mountain due to poor visibility). It was a cool clear day & we had an incredible view. I truly cannot adequately explain what all we saw. I hope that the pictures captured at least a fraction of the excitement we experienced.

We didn't get back to our lodge until 11:00 p.m. We went to bed & the guys stayed up hoping to capture a view of the Northern Lights. Out of consideration, Kay turned off her phone as we received an early morning call the morning before. And wouldn't you know it. Andy called at 1:17 a.m. to let us know that the Northern Lights made an appearance! Kay regretted her concern about my sleeping comfort!

More tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Butch & Kay at Mt. McKinleyButch & Kay at Mt. McKinley
Butch & Kay at Mt. McKinley

Mt. McKinley is above & between our heads (it looks like a cloud) Only 30% of the people that go to Denali see Mt. McKinley. Our family is now in the 30% club!


8th September 2009

30% club
I too am in that Club ~ cool, huh? I know what you mean about trying to describe Mt. Denali and I have some beautiful pictures of it!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb