Alaska, Canada and NYC day 8


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

This afternoon we are on a bus into the Denali national park Where hopefully we get to see the bears, moose and caribou in their natural habitat. 7 odd hours in a bus....

Quiet morning sleep in as we again had nothing planned for extras that morning. Breakfast while clothes washed and then dried. Off downtown to look at the shops. Walk down the hill good for the legs and lungs. Into the gift shops for stuff.

Lots of gift shops with the same sort of stuff - all have polar fleece marked at 50% off - all pretty crappy as well. Souvenirs abound so we get bits and I notice a new real polar fleece so buy that as well.

Get some food for the trip (they provide a box lunch which we were told might not be enough). Another school bus arrives and that is our 7 hour bus - hmmmm....

We are the 1st pickup, finally we have a full bus and away we go into the park. 1st few miles are bitumen, then onto the dirt. All looking for the elusive animals. Eventually see a Daal sheep and a few other bits. Finally get to see some caribou. Heard there could be bears so everyone gets excited. Find the spot and some bear seats (poo) but no bears to be seen. Onwards and upwards (literally - bloody high roads with fantastic scenery but no bears...).

See birds, and at in point looking at raven chicks I spot an animal moving down the hill that looks like a bear - obvious reaction is to yell BEAR..... All up and looking then the bus driver says that is no bear, it is a porcupine. Not what I thought a porcupine looked like - long tail and lots of fur. Bugger.

Still no bear or moose. See some other Daal sheep just below us (they are like mountain goats and exist on very steep mountain sides) so to see them close up was a real bonus.

Eventually get back to the visitors centre in the park and no bear, no moose - all a little disappointed. We cross the railway line when Chris yells MOOSE. Just along the line was a mother moose and her 2 calves eating and playing - a consolation prize and as the driver said - a Denali finale.....

Back to the hotel around 2100, and a few of us are hungry so decide to go to the restaurant for a feed and drinks. The kitchen shuts at 2200 so we get there and order food. Geoffrey has befriended 2 of the American women and is trying hard to be extra nice to them. The ensuing night turns into an hilarious evening. So much so that Chris and Julie said their faces hurt from laughing so much.

Eventually leave and crash ready for our next bag pull.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.403s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb