Alaska, Canada and NYC day 7


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Denali
June 4th 2014
Published: June 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we have our first "bag pull". Bags out by 0800 with a 0845 bus board for an 0900 departure for Denali.

All on board and seat rotation starts for those in the front half. Us naughty kids in the back had spread out in single seats and also rebelled and said no to the seat rotation.....

We are meant to be in Denali by lunch time but there is quite a bit of roadworks on the way. We actually stop twice for over 15 - 30 mins each waiting for our turn to go. Lori (our bus driver) does a good job getting us through earlier by getting water and snacks for the stop go men. Seemed to work as we got waved through with pilot cars both times.

Stopped at a little village called Neenana where a co-op for the Indians was our stop. They teach the young the traditional way to make stuff and sell that off. Alaskan explorer train goes through while we are there (we catch that later from Denali to Anchorage).

On the way we get offered a huge range of extras while we are in Denali. White water rafting, helicopters, glacier landings, husky sled rides, etc. Sounds like the Queenstown of Alaska.

Arrive at our hotel around 1400. Free time this afternoon, tomorrow morning and part of Friday morning as well. We decide not to do any extras. Instead we just got settled and as we were meeting at 1645 for our organised dinner and theatre show. Hotel is on the high ground with great views over the mountains, etc.

Off the the "Cabin Nite" on their special bus (more like one of those American school buses). We are told it is loud and we have to make noise to uphold the tour guides tradition of being the best group there. Oh dear.....

Walk in and they are all dressed in old time miners garb, including one show girl sitting on the bar with very a very flashy dress (and almost in it as well).

Get seated and go to the bar to get an Alaskan Amber beer. Waitress sidles up and says she is our waitress for the night and her name is .... Alaskan Amber. She makes me the nominated table caller and starts to embarrass straight away. Food delivered and I have to call her for more drinks - succeed and get praise for my loudness.

Food done and show starts - part of the show needs volunteers - you guessed it - I'm the lucky one. Put on a good showing and get great applause from the patrons and staff as well. Enough fun and we are out by 1930. Too early for bed so we decide to go up to the hotel above us which is higher and has even better views with a couple from NSW (Greg and Julie - good fun couple). Shuttle bus takes us up, get a drink and sit in awe if the views and vista.

Eventually go to leave and just mis the shuttle so decide to walk down. Relatively easy walk down the hill and finally off to bed. A night before midnight, even though it is still very much day time by light readings...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1016.4kb