Day 19 Soldotna AK to Anchorage AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Anchorage
June 1st 2016
Published: June 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Last day to pack it up and hit the road...
Breakfast at The Caribou Family Restaurant.
They offered caribou and reindeer sausage. When asked the difference, our spunky waitress said that reindeer can fly!

We heard on the local news that a pregnant moose delivered her calf in the Lowe's parking lot between cars. The drivers, not wanting to disturb the pair, said they would return later for their cars... Never saw anything like that at our Lowe's!

We decided to golf 9 holes at the Birch Ridge Golf Course. Sally commented that the fairways were like pastures compared to our courses at home, but compared to the Fireweed Meadows GC in Anchor Point, it was like Augusta! Perspective is everything... The setting was beautiful, but we had several STEEP climbs. A car drove down the middle of the 9th fairway - only in Alaska! As we finished the 9th hole, we met a man who was wearing a Chicago "Bears" hat. Another small world story... wait for it... he has an associate's degree from Rock Valley College! He still has family living in Rockford.

Climbing gave each of us quite a thirst and an appetite, so we stopped at Mooseback Annie's. It was just outside of Soldotna on the side of the road. Sally made Tom check it out first as there were no cars. It turned out to be one of our favorite restaurants of this trip. It was a cabin filled with lots of fun moose and bear tzhotchkes (spelling???) And, Annie was a great cook - delicious soups and sandwiches.

A bear just ran in front of us! It never gets old!!
Oh, BTW, we have a dash cam on our Winnie and have recorded each and every one of the 4,500 miles of this amazing adventure. Soooo, if anyone wants to watch the road trip... let us know! Dave has tagged the highlights, so there will be an abbreviated version showcasing the animal crossings.

We were trying to soak up as much Alaskan beauty as we could before arriving in Anchorage to deliver our Winnies. Great Alaskan Holidays gave us excellent directions. Our instructions were to "fill the gas tank within the area on the map". We did, we checked them in (but will sleep in them tonight), packed, and walked down the road to the local Olive Garden.

Tomorrow the shuttle will take us to the Anchorage Airport to catch our noon flight to Seattle and on to O'Hare. We're to arrive there at midnight and a limo will take us HOME!

It's been FANTASTIC!!!


Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb