Finally Done With Big Bodies of Water


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama
May 30th 2011
Published: May 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

First thing: Belated Happy Birthday wishes:
Skip - May 24
Alice - May 26
Timmy - May 28
We love you all.

It’s been a week since I posted a blog. Sorry. Let’s catch up.

On Monday of last week we left Panama City and traveled west through West Bay, then the ditch to Choctawhatchee Bay. It was pretty hot in the ditch as there wasn’t a lot of breeze. The bays were more open, but still it’s getting hot. I think it will be a sticky trip the rest of the way home. We anchored in the mouth of Hogtown Bayou near Fourmile Point. We had a quiet afternoon and evening with a light breeze and smooth water.

Tuesday we had a short, two hour, trip to Bluewater Bay Marina at Niceville. There we filled our tanks with fuel and tied up at a face dock we’d reserved. Bob and Gena arrived to pick us up as we were adjusting our lines. On the way to their house in DeFuniak Springs we stopped in Freeport for giant hamburgers and fries. Mmmm good. Once we got to their house, Cathy and Bill came over and we girls went
familyfamilyfamily

Aunt Patty, Cathy, Lisa and Kerry
to look at the vegetable garden Gena and Bob planted. Then to That Pizza Place for the best pizza we’ve ever eaten. We stopped and visited with Aunt Patty on the way home. She’s so cute.

Wednesday I did laundry and we just sat around and visited. That evening Cathy, Bill, Lisa, Greg, Aunt Patty and Marion came for dinner. Gena made a delicious chicken waldorf salad. We ate like pigs and had a great time talking about turtly-winks and old times, and looked at some old photos.

Thursday we looked at maps and discussed our next camping trip with Gena and Bob. The plans are to do the Pacific Coast Highway and various parks in California, Oregon, Washington and elsewhere. We’re not sure when we’re going to make this trip, but it was fun talking about it. Early Thursday evening Bob dropped us back at the boat on his way to barbershop chorus rehearsal. It was a wonderful visit and we look forward to spending time with them again soon. Thanks again, Gena and Bob.

Thursday night we watched the storms in the distance with lots of lightning, but not much thunder. We got a very
familyfamilyfamily

Marion, Gena, Greg
little bit of rain overnight, just enough to make me get out of bed a couple of times to close then open windows. It rained pretty good early in the morning.

Friday morning we were on our way again, through the western part of Choctawhatchee Bay and through the Narrows, down Santa Rosa Sound to Pensacola Beach. There we tied up at the free dock off the Quietwater Beach Boardwalk. We walked down to Alvin’s Island, the tourist department store, then ate dinner at Flounders Chowder House. Since it was the beginning of a long weekend and the start of the summer season, there were live bands playing up and down the boardwalk until quite late.

Saturday morning we eased out hoping to beat the crazies through the most populated areas. Nope. The boat traffic started getting heavy around Pensacola inlet and was really wild around Perdido Key and Orange Beach. Once we passed Lulu’s Restaurant, it thinned out some and was quite nice in Bon Secour Bay. We anchored in the bay, south of the ICW but north of Palmetto Beach.

Sunday morning the wind started getting stronger from the southeast. We headed more or less
SunsetSunsetSunset

at Pensacola Beach
north up Mobile Bay with the waves on our right rear quarter again, causing a rolling ride again. When we turned into the channel to Dog River, the waves and rollers up to 3’ were on our beam. Needless to say, we were happy to get into the river and tied up at the marina. We borrowed the courtesy car and went to Walmart for groceries and CVS for prescription refills, then ate supper at the Mariner Restaurant at the marina.

This morning Mobile Bay was much more docile and we are happily traveling up the river towards home. The port of Mobile was fairly quiet, with only a few areas showing any activity. We watched a container ship being unloaded, windows being washed on a cruise ship, and tugs moving barges around. So now we are anchored in the Tombigbee at mile 53.7 on the side of the river. It’s been a pretty peaceful and relaxing day. Nice to be back on a river.

More later…



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Quietwater Beach BoardwalkQuietwater Beach Boardwalk
Quietwater Beach Boardwalk

at Pensacola Beach
Port of MobilePort of Mobile
Port of Mobile

container ship being unloaded
Window washerWindow washer
Window washer

on cruise ship. Doesn't look like a fun job to me.
Navy shipNavy ship
Navy ship

being decorated with signal flags for Memorial Day


1st June 2011

you're busy!
glad your doing well. Sorry to hear it's getting warmer though, but it seemed cooler on the water. It's great you're catching up with friends and family on the way. We'll start our counter offer on the kkmanatee soon. Keep your fingers crossed!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb