Mexico...safe or dangerous? Where's the truth?


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
January 18th 2014
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 20.6509, -105.215

Mexico has 32 states, 19 of which have travel advisories from our state department. Of the 4 states we've traveled through from Nogales to Puerto Vallarta, all have serious advisories--every one. Ones where they say defer non-essential travel and secondary roads can be especially dangerous.

What?

We've driven through without mishap. Mostly. They're talking about rural roads though in remote areas, where we were along the coast. I think.

Actually, I don't know what I think. The stories are enough to keep you up at night but really? With 150,000 people a day crossing the border, they don't amount to much. The scary stories, I mean. What's real and pretty scary on it's own is just the navigating.

It's a country with horrible road maps for their horrible roads; they're inaccurate and incomplete, and that's when you can find one. You drive through a city and totally lose your sense of direction as streets run haywire one way and another with no signposts to the other end of town where you can supposedly pick up the toll road again.

Without Bob and Donna to follow we'd still be circling Guaymas and that's not a big city. Just try doing it without signs or GPS and you'll see how unending it can be.

Our GPS that gets us so safely through Phoenix and San Antonio could just as well be used as a door stop down here. It has a smattering of locations--just enough to fool novices like us into thinking it would be all we'd need.

Ha.

But look what you get when you get here.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

The beach at Old VallartaThe beach at Old Vallarta
The beach at Old Vallarta

This is a group of lifeguards in training. You would not be impressed with their rowing skills.
Handicapped crossing guardHandicapped crossing guard
Handicapped crossing guard

I was so thrilled to see this guy had a job! And he was so happy! His whole body smiled when he helped someone across the street. Working only for tips, these guys really rely on your good will and generous spirit.
Indigenous in traditional costumeIndigenous in traditional costume
Indigenous in traditional costume

After I'd taken this the guy said no no. No photos. Oops.


27th January 2014

Your pictures are wonderful, it looks like a beautiful place. Loved the sculptures. Be careful there was a big article in our paper yesterday about all the trouble south of where you are.

Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb