Mesoamerican Mayans


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
October 30th 2011
Published: October 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Mayan civilization began around 500 BCE after the Olmec Empire. The Mayans were famous for their mathematical, astronomical, writing, and artistic advancements.

Religion
The Mayan religious system was based on Earth and the belief of the underworld and heaven. Mayans were very religious people and use religion for agriculture, health, and weather. In addition, Mayans performed human sacrifices. Their local characteristics contributed to their religious traditions. The Mayan religious practices had decreased after popular teaching of Christianity took place.

Writing
The Mayan writing system included 1,000 different characters using symbols. Their characters were extremely detailed and complex, so it had been hard to understand. Usage of the Mayan writing system declined after the arrival of the Europeans.

Arts
Mayan art forms ranged from colorful murals to jade masks. Mayan sculptures were made using various materials like stelas and altars. Mayan murals were mostly painted on the interiors of temples and recorded their historical accomplishments and sacrifices. On the other hand, Mayan ceramics showed impressive liveliness and serves as an "social currency". Mayans had loved to use art to express their history.


Architecture
Mayan architecture was built largely based on the geographic feature of the location. Also, Maya architecture had been classified as unique and huge but not tall. Most of its cities have plazas, palaces, e-groups, and temples. One of its most famous architecture style had been the stepped pyramids. Mayans lived in a hay huts. Mayan architecture had been a symbol of the development of their civilization and an important part of their society.

Technological Advancement
Math - Mayans used a base 5 and 20 number system. Also, they calculated their own calender system with 260 days in a year.

Astromony - Mayans accurately predicted the movements of the moons and planets with just their naked eyes.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_civilization



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb