Merida.. culture and dancing!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Yucatán » Merida
August 6th 2006
Published: August 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Said goodbye to Cheryl at Tulum bus station, and while she headed to Playa del Carmen for a week with Mark, I headed to Merida.. planning for a week of culture and Spanish lessons and spending less money 😊 .. I did do a few hours of Spanish lessons with a teacher from CIS, and managed to fit in a bit of culture (well a couple of galleries, a museum if that counts!.. and there's lots of free events at the cultural centre here, so have been to watch a few random things.. such as a Belgian film with Spanish subtitles, and some traditional Catalan dancing! .. hmm a deserate way to try and fill time, or making the most of what's free.. i'm not sure!) BUT met lots of nice people, so spent most of the time in Merida going out, cooking, eating and drinking.. so the budget has definitely suffered this week!


There's dancing and live music in the streets at the weekend, when the town centre is shut off to traffic... everyone out dancing.. young, old, fat, thin etc etc.. so I didn't mind getting up and having a go.. was taught a few moves by Raphael from the hostal.. though I definitely don't have the Mexican rhythm! .. and thanks to Rene (who hitched a ride from his village in Germany 2 years ago, and has been hitchiking round the world ever since!) I've also re-learnt how to play backgammon (but rarely managed to beat him), how to make excellent pancakes and banana milkshakes, and how to eat for free in supermarkets (though I do remember doing this in Singapore 10 years ago!)


Stayed at Hostal Sta Lucia all week.. It's really friendly, central, cheap.. and clean as it's only 4 months old.. I was in a dorm with 2 bunk beds, but had it all to myself for most of the week.. though I could still hear the boys snoring next door, as the walls didn't go right to the tall ceiling, to help air flow! http://www.hostalstalucia.com/


Visited Chichen Itza.. Another Mayan ruin, another 5000 tourists! .. It was impressive of course, but very hot and very busy!.. and very expensive..





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 86; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb