Isla Mujeres.. Whale sharks and marriage proposals!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Isla Mujeres
August 20th 2006
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

2 weeks on Isla Mujeres, where Rachael (a uni friend of Cheryl's) joined us from sunny Huddersfield,, and within 3 days was browner than either of us! .. Isla Mujeres is a really chilled, quiet little island just off the coast of Cancun (which we visited for one day to do some chores, and is horrible.. unless you like McDonalds, rows of big hotels, and lots of Americans!)..


Had an amazing day yesterday snorkling with whale sharks.. $US115 for the day: boat, guide, food, water, beers etc, so not cheap, but a fantastic experience.. they are HUGE! .. we took a tiny (and bumpy!) boat out past Isla Holbox through the rain clouds and into what looked like a storm.. and floated around in the sea looking for these huge creatures.. As we arrived at their feeding ground the clouds cleared, the sun came out and we could see 2 of the whale sharks floating around.. We saw about 10 during the afternoon, and we all got to swim with them.. Quite scary (especially the very first jump off the boat and land in the water right next to them!), as you are snorkling just above them while they are feeding on the plankton and small fish, with their huge mouths open.. I even touched the fin or one of them we were that close (with the guide, telling us what we can and can't do). My pictures can't do justice to how huge and beautiful these sharks are.. some more photos on wikipedia..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_sharks


We explored the island in a little golf buggy and on bikes.. it's tiny and not much to see, apart from lots of private hotels and spas charging $US50 a day to get in.. for use of the beach, pool and free food and drink all day.. and Dolphin World, where for a bargain $US130 you can swim with a dolphin for 15 minutes, with lots of other American toursists on day trips from Cancun! .. so we watched from behind the barriers, and headed back to Playa Norte where the poor travellers hang out!


Most days we just hung out on the beach or in the 2 streets full of little cafes and restaurants. Parties on the beach every night at Poc Na hostal (not that we were hard core enough to make it that often!).. and lots of nice people.. if you can ignore the mexican and cuban marriage proposals, which do become a little tedious after a while, if quite amusing!


Stayed in Posada Suemi.. a great room with 3 beds and a bathroom, for 80 pesos - 4 pounds - a night each, plus use of a kitchen and free drinking water, owned by a really sweet woman.


We fly to Cuba tomorrow for 3 weeks, before flying to Ecuador on 11th September, where we're trying to set up some voluntary work in a school for a month or so.... watch this space!








Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 89; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb