Tulum.. beaches, ruins and cenotes


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Tulum
July 28th 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

14 hour bus journey to Tulum was very comfortable (posh bus!), apart from I woke up in the middle of the night to find that the bus had stopped at a military check point (lots of armed men), and a man was standing in the aisle, saying to me "don't be alarmed, we're just making routine checks.. where are you from?".. so I told him.. and he seemed OK with that hmmm! .. oh yes and a slight problem with smelly feet... the walking sandals don't seem to be living up to their "odour free" promise!




Tulum is very expensive, though we've found a lovely cabaña on the beach for GBP25 a night, which is the most we've paid anywhere so far. The cabaña is made of sticks and thatch, so plenty of room for iguanas, mosquitos, crabs and huge crickets to get in.. though there is a mosquito net, so we're protected once in bed! ... no electricity in any of the canañas in Tulum, so candlelight after 7pm.. and torches in bed! .. and it's an "eco-friendly, clothing-optional resort".. so we have managed to get a more overall tan!!




A lovely beach bar at our hotel - though Tulum town (where the cheaper beers are) is about 7km away.. so not such a lively night scene here .. and the most unfriendly waiters we've experienced in Mexico. Did check out a party on the next bay one evening, great band playing on the beach, and friendly people (lots of people who seem to have come here on holiday and stayed!) but expensive drinks.




Hired bikes and rode to the Mayan ruins.. beautiful setting on the coast, overlooking a turquoise sea... and cycled into Tulum town for supplies.. SO HOT, but cooler on the bike with the breeze




Snorkelled in Cenotes (fresh water underground rivers and caves, that the Mayans believed were the entry to the underworld, and sacrificed young virgins in).. Cenote Cristal, Cenote Escondido and Cenote Grande. Apparently there's miles of these rivers underground, and they only started to be mapped 18 years ago, so lots of the initial divers lost their lives exploring the underground caves. Saw lots of fish and small turtles. Amazing colours, and crystal clear waters.. I was very brave, and jumped in from the high rock.. but couldn't quite bring myself to dive under the stalegtites into an underground cave.. Cheryl did it though.. apparently it was beautiful, but a bit claustrophobic!








Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



3rd August 2006

Jealous
We are thoroughly enjoying watching your travels. I would not have dived down into the cave either just the thought turns me Life in Oke is very good weather great and lesley and Sally have been down We are off to Aus NZ and Dubai/Abu Dhabi in Feb not quite like your travels but it will be fun Keep enjoying Love Jean and Allenton
6th August 2006

Must be fun snorkelling in those cenote... envy! =)
6th August 2006

Fantastic pics!
It's so great to be able to follow you on your travels! Looks fantastic - keep the blog and piccies coming.......... We're off to La belle France on Friday - nowhere near in the same league! Oh well..... one day........ xx

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb