COPPER CANYON


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sinaloa » Mazatlan
October 19th 2006
Published: October 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

well copper canyon was basically the most beautiful thing i´ve ever seen. But, unfortunately my camera sucked and somehow randomly deleted half of my pictures, most of them being of the waterfalls and canyons and really nice. so that sucked. but everyone else took so many that once i get my ass in gear and get them from everyone i will have more than enough. i will post them up sometime next week probably and leave a link on here so you guys can check them out.
Anyways, so we left last WEdnesday night from MAzatlan on a bus to Los Mochis at 10pm. But before that, i went and picked up Cam and we went to Laura and Maui (the finnish girls) house to get them. We decided that in order to sleep on the bus we needed to have a few beer to get us tired so me and Cam had a road pop on the walk over and then we all cheersed in the taxi on the way to the bus station. We were the first ones there so we walked across the street to this supersketchy tavern which was really creepy but fun at the same time and we all cheersed again. it was fun. then we went back to the bus stop to meet everyone else and we were all so early we ended up waiting about 2 hours and playing with random bouncy balls and throwing shreddies across the waiting room into peoples mouths. it was fun. jason tried to intercept one and he tripped over his bag and did a faceplant. good times.
anyways, so we finally got on the bus and slept all the way to Los Mochis. we got there at about 4 am and the train leaves at 6. me and jason went with Britney (the student who planned everything because she is a machine) to a hotel where we had to pick up the tickets for everything. the guy at the desk scared us really bad and was like....i dont know what your talkeing about we have no tickets. so we sat there for about an hour wondering what the hell we were going to do and then the guy shut a drawer and was like OH I FOUND IT and it was all in a huge bag right there at his feet with COPPER CANYON written all ove rit. i wanted to punch him. so we went to the train station and met everyone else tehre and waited for another hour for the train.
we got on the train at about 6am and slept again until the dining car opened fro breakfast at 9. i actually ordered eggs which is weird because i dont like egss but for some reason in mexico i do......strange i know. anyways so i had eggs which i liked and dad i know that must make you so proud of me.
the train was kind of set up like a bus in each car with all the seats and such. but it was really big and roomy so it was good. and then there was a bar car and a dining car which were nice. so we all passed the time by reading, sleeping, eating, and playing poker in the bar car. whoever won the most games out of 10 had to be bought a beer by everyone else (there beer was 5 bucks each and because were all accustomed to pay about 2 bucks at the most for one, none of us were really drinking)
so we got to Cerocuahi at about 2pm and got picked up at the train station by our tour guide for the hotel name Gustavo. he was hilarious. we went to the hotel, whichwas amazingly nice by the way, and ate lunch, which was amazingly good by the way, and then Gustavo took us all out on this hike to the waterfall. it was really pretty and quite the hike but it was really fun. lots of us went swimming at the waterfall but it was so damn cold because of the mountains and the altitude and such i literally felt like i was gonna black out when i jumped in. i couldnt feel anything really. but it was fun and im glad i did it. brandy did the hike in flip flops cause shes a tool and her one flip flop broke at the waterfall so we all had to donate our socks and she put on about 10 of them and that was her padding instead of a shoe. it was funny....but she made it back to the hotel.
then we had some supper and me and jason chatted it up with this random old canadian man who was on the same tour with another big group of canadians. so that was fun...we had a pina colada and learned about winnipeg.....good times. i was spent so hit the hay but lots of people stayed up playing pool and hanging out drinking Tecate....a pretty disgusting beer which for some reason is super popular here. they got drunk with Gustavo the tour guide.
The next morning we had a buffet breakfast which had everything you could ever think of...and more because most of it was mexican and you probably have never heard of it before so you wouldnt even thjink of it.....it was glorious. we visited a little orphanage thing right beside our hotel which was realy interesting. Then we went back to the train station to catch the train. we had to wait for almost 2 hours which sucked but we passed the time by putting pesos on the train tracks and having them flattened by the passing traiins. then we set rocks up on the other side of the tracks and we all tried to knock them down. pretty exciting i know.
anyways, so we rode the train to Hotel Mirador which was all there was there...just the hotel. it was built right into the side of the canyon. when we first walked in and onto the balcony the view was AMAZING. none of us could even speak it was so nice. then, once again, we ate awesome food. the tour guide for that hotel then took us a hike down the canyon to this indian village. There were houses made of rocks and cardboard, and little kids weaving baskets and such. they live off of their corn fields and fruits. it was really neat to see. they looked so happy, but a little confused at all the tourists taking pictures of them...which i dont blame them. it was strange though cause if you looked one way it was a house made of cardboard and then if you looked up you could see our amazing hotel built into the side of the canyon......ironic.
then we hiked out into the canyon (on the top). we had the nicest views and everyone was sitting on the rocks with there legs hanging over the edge to like a 500 metre drop. not the safest thing but wow the pictures are worth it....im surprised no one died.
then we went back to the hotel for happy hour and we all got pina coladas and mohitos which were great......2 for 1 of course. it was weird cause everyhting we got they asked us for our room numbers and not for cash. i felt pretty important. it ended up being all the canadians sitting together at the one table just by chance. we seem to always flock together. then the hotel guy brought out a firpit onto the balcony and we all sat around the fire for a long time.
the next day a bunch of us got up at 5 am to watch the sun rise over the canyon. it was so nice....besides the clouds. then i went to bed again for a while and then me and jason and maui and laura hiked back out to the ledge and took more pitures. we went even further out it was so nice. then we hiked down into the canyon and found these random stacked massive rocks with sketchy ladders so, of course, we calimbed up the ladders to the top which was awesome. we couldnt get down at the end for a while but eventually we made it.
then we caught the train to Creel. it stopped in a town called Divasedaro for about 15 minutes which was super cool. as soon as we got off there was about 50 differennt ladies with grills and food stands so we went nuts and had Gorditas and Burritos and i dont even know what the rest was.....but DAMN they were so good. then it was back on the train. we got to Creel at about 5 i think. the town was pretty small with lots of Indians and tons of cool shops with arts and crafts and bongos and blackets and clothes and souvenirs. we shopped for a while and then went back to the hotel and ate. we picked up some alcohol.....a mickey of rum was only 27.50 pesos...which isn´t even 3 dollars. it was insane. we all drank for a while at the hotel and then a few of us went out to a karaokee bar. we were literally the only ones in the bar but it was still fun. Antonio sang some random song and it was really funny. i headed to bed but a few people went to a Banda concert at the town hall and danced with the locals....i wish i would have made it but i was just too tired.
the next morning, me alyssa elizabeth maui laura nina brandy and antonio went a tour. our tour guide was super cute so antonio was annoyed the whole day cause he was teh only guy and that was all we would talk about. it was funny. we went to a random rock shaped like an elephant. it was so random...all of a sudden he slammed on the brakes, pointed out the windo, and said ELEPHANT ROCK (he didnt speak much english). we were all like what the hell...but ti was pretty cool non the less. then we went a lake, and then he literally drove the bus (which wasnt very high quality) across the river. all of a sudden he kicked us out of the bus and drove away with all these other tourists to take them to the waterfall. thank god antonio was tehre to speak spanish cause the rest of us were so lost. apparetnly they have to do that because the bus the other people were on cant cross the river. so anyways, we started walking down the path to the waterfall and waiting for him to come back to get us. it was funny cause one of the girls ate something bad the night before so she was going to the bathroom in the trees on one side adn another girl was hungover so she was puking on the other side. it was amusing. we kept walking and eventually he came back with the bus and took us up to the path to the waterfall. we hiked down to the waterfall which was SO NICE. we literally climbed up onto rocks which were right under the waterfall. the view looking up was so cool you have no idea. then we hiked up to the top and because its not the season where there is a lot of water going over it we were able to literally walk across the top of the waterfall and lay on the edge looking down. it was insane and i cant wait to get pictures from Antonio so you all can see them. then the tour guide took us to another indian village where they literally lived in caves. it was nuts.
then we headed back and had some supper. we all decided to go and find a bar (on a sunday in a super small town....not the easiest task),. so we asked around and just started walking through town. emmy had to pee so i was like i will be your gurdian and we went to cross the street and a car was coming...which emmy didnt see....so i stopped but she sure didnt and i yelled at her and she turned back and the mirror and the right side definately hit her in the arm and it broke off and shattered all over the raod. it was super scary cause the truck (which was going super fast with a drunk guy driving it) swerved to miss her and was literally coming right for me. i have never been so scared EVER. and everyone else though emmy had been hit hardcore cause they couldnt see but it was just her shoulder....which has a massive bruise now. so that put a damper on the night and me and jason and alyssa just went back to the hotel while a bunch of studnets proceeded to get in the back of the truck of the guy that hit emmy and go and party with them.....really smart i know.
the next morning we got up and me and jason did some more shopping before catching the train again. we rode the train all the way back to Los Mochis which was such a long day and then got the best tacos ever in los mochis before getting on the bus to mazatlan. we got back at 430am on tuesday and then i got up at 7 and went to class. it was a long day. then i went to bongoes which has gotten superfun this last week and then taught english with heather. there is a super cute little boy who i want to steal named Isreal. i snuck into the other room and played soccer with him while i was supposed to be helping heather. it was fun. we realized that the kids arent realistically gonna learn that much so we started doing random stuff like the chicken dance. its really fun. i´m going again today after bongos so it should be another good time.
i think thats about all i got for now. tonight after english class i think me and jason are gonna hit up the hookah bar in the plaza so that should be fun cause i havent hung out in old mazatlan for what seems like forever. tomorrow a whole bunch of us are meeting at Joes oyster bar at 5 and then going to basball game. mazatlan is undefeated so far and apparetnly the games are crazy so it should be fun i´m sure. i´m not sure what else is happening this weekend but there will be stories to post im sure.
adios

Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb