This place is random


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sinaloa » Mazatlan
August 12th 2006
Published: August 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hola everyone
everything is still going good here. lately i´ve been noticing how different this place is and its pretty amusing. for example, at school there is no bookstore. you take your scchedule to the copy centre and pay (mine was only 130 pesos for 2 books which is about 13 dollars CDN give or take a few) and then you wait for an hour while they photocopy entire books and bind them together....pretty sure thats illegal but whatever its mexico. i thought it was great because usually i´d be spending at leat 130 dollars, not pesos, on two books at the UofC.
another thing is how high the sidewalks are. its like a huge step to get on to lots of them which really confused me during the first few days, and then it started raining at night. i´m not talking a little shower, i´m talking buckets of rain and the streets literally fill up with water so the sidewalks need to be super high to avoid drowning. the lightning lights up the entire sky and the thunder sounds like your going to die. it is awesome. the best part is how warm it is so when you walk it the rain its totally fine.
th other night at sr frogs it was pouring and the floor was covered with liquid. at first lots of us drunken excahnge students were like oh this place is gross theres alcohol all over the floor, but then we realized that the roof was leaking everywhere and it was about 2 cm of rain on the floor. it poured so much that night that some people couldn´t even take cabs home all the way because they were getting flooded in their streets and the engines were quitting so they had to walk the rest of the way home. its so random. and when you wake up in the morning all there is is a few tiny puddles like nothing even happened, its like the twilight zone.
last night at a bar called bora bora it poured again and the place is outside on the beach with only the dance floor being covered. everyone crowded under it and waited out the rain. ya the weather is definately intense down here.
my host family got another dog yesterday. its a chihuahua puppy and its only 4 months old. kind of like a rat, but its still pretty cute. the host brother was playing the guitar yesterday and singing really badly. he told me he´s taken lessons for 2 years which was strange because it wasn´t even in tune. its amusing because the host mom comes into my rooms and we can hear him singing and playing and all you can do is laugh.
classes are still going pretty good. spanish continues to kick my ass but what can ya do. my hotel and tourism class should be pretty fun. there is field trips and everything to resorts and such. i´m pretty pumped about that.
Sr. Frogs was fun the other night. all of the teachers were there and all of the mexican and exchange students. its a weird place though because everything is in english and all the waiters do is hit on the girls. our prof told us that the waiters are pretty smooth and they have it in there minds that every foriegn girl here is like a crazy spring breaker. its pretty annoying.
Last night was a girl from England´s birthday and we all went to here apartement by the plaza machado for cake. it is such a nice little place and you can here the music in the plaza. she only pays about 350 a month for everything which i think is an awesome deal. it kind of made me wish i didn´t live with a host family, but at the same time the food that i´ve been getting can´t be beat. afterwards we all went down to Bora Bora which is one of the bars in that big white castle called fiesta land. it was a super huge place with a massive dance floor. Upstairs there is a square all around the dance floor where you dance and look over the balconies down at everyone. then there is some parts with sand and tables over looking beach. the music was half english and half spanish. the spanish music is great. i´m starting to words to to some of it even though i have no idea what it means.anyways, it was the coolest bar i´ve ever been too, and once again, the beer was cheap....super cheap.
i have a tv in my room and have been trying to learn spanish by watching latin american idol and MTV with spanish subtitles. its amusing. some of the english shows are dubbed with spanish speaking voices and you can´t even tell. its really trippy.
anyways, thats about all i have for now. today i think i might head up to the beach for a while and then me, ilona, cam, abby, and a few others are going to hike up to the lighthouse for the sunset. hopefully i can make it to the top. the two finnish girls that live close by in old mazatlan are having a house warming party tongith so we will probably end up there after. its really neat to see the apartments that people are renting. most of them are really nice.
take care everyone....oh and check out the gallery on here because i just added a few pictures.
sarah

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb