bugs


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Sinaloa » Mazatlan
August 10th 2006
Published: August 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

this morning there was a cockroach on my floor. it was stuck on its back so it couldn´t run at me or anything so i threw my shoe at it several times until it was dead....pretty intense i know. thats the first one i´ve seen in my house at all so thats a plus. the girl that lives next door said she has a lot so i guess i lucked out. besides the massive amount of cockroaches and huge beatles, there is a ton of ants EVERYWHERE. and i´m not talkin tiny little ones, they are about a centimetre long. its pretty gross because sometimes when your walking on the sidewalk you literally have to run through so they don´t crawl on your feet. there´s also a lot of geccos or chameleons or something, i´m not sure what they are. a few days ago when i first opened my bathroom window one ran up the wall and outside. they are pretty cute, but i´m sure i´ll change my mind if one runs up my leg or something.
there is also an insane amount of dogs. my host family has two little chihahua type ones and they´re cute, but then there is this total random one that lives on the street in front of the house, but comes through the gate whenever it opens and lays on the kitchen floor. occasionally my host mom yells at it, but it doesn´t move so everyone just steps over it. its pretty funny. and when you walk down the street theres always a least one dog on every block, but they are all pretty lazy and just watch you walk by.
yesterday i saw a sign for the type of wrestling thats in the nacho libre movie. i didn´t realize it actually existed, but apparently it comes to mazatlan every once in a while which would be pretty funny to go and see.
i think i am getting pretty used to the heat. everyone is just sweating all the time.....a lot, which was gross at first, but its the only way to go really. i have been feeling a little sick lately though, i think i´m just getting used to the food though so it should pass. i´ve been drinking so much water here, but you can´t drink it out of the tap so my family has filter thing. it tastes different than what i´m used to but its just water and you definately need it here. they have a lot of those huge bottles for sale everywhere for only about 7 pesos, which is 70 cents. they remind of craig and how he bought one in mexico....what a tool.
my spanish class yesterday was a lot better and i actually understood what was going on which was a plus. today i have intro to hotel and tourism in mexico, intro to mexican culture, and doing business in mexico. then i have bongo drum lessons. it should be a good time.
last night me and my neighbor from new york went down the plaza again to study some spanish. we went to one of the classier restaurants i think and ordered coke. its comes in the glass bottles here which i thought was pretty cool. then we had some really fancy desserts which would probably be about 10 buck in calgary, and it was only about 100 pesos for everything, so about 10 bucks. i´m not sure how the tipping works here so we just guessed and then added some more so hopefully the waiter was happy. i haven´t seen a female server once since i´ve been here, its a little odd. at all the bars and everything they have all been male. i can´t really figure it out.
anyways, this is another pretty boring blog so i apologize. tonight is the school´s supper thing at Sr. Frog´s so i´m sure i´ll have some good stories afterwards.
sarah

Advertisement



10th August 2006

Hey Sarah - Your bloqs not boring, and we love hearing about your experiences. Can't imagine the bugs - but maybe it'd be better than those gross white spider things we have here! Glad to hear spanish is coming along better! I so want to be there! Take care and have fun at Sr frogs 2 night. Love kelly
19th August 2006

Tool?!?!
Oh Sarah....the only thing I miss more than you is those giant mexican water bottles!!! HAHA

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb