Mexico Dec 2008 Day 2: Xcaret


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Playa del Carmen
December 13th 2008
Published: January 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Xcaret (pronounced ish-kaa-reyt is an ecopark, very close to Playa del Carmen. It was surprisingly on the cool side as we headed over. The $65 entry fee was well worth it, but doesn't include some of the premium attractions like dolphin swimming, 'snuba', SeaTrek (which we did), etc. They sell a 2 day pass but if you're ready to walk a lot, you can cover most of the site in one day.

Xcaret has a little of everything of Mexico. There are all sorts of animals, live shows, cenotes, Mayan Ruins (its located on an old site), underground rivers, a beach, a church, etc. We saw ruins, macaws galore, jaguar island, underground river, flamingoes, turtles, butterflies, etc. The beach was breathtaking. Very picturesque with cerulean waters. Although it was a little cold, we suited up for the SeaTrek. Its an underwater tour in the Coral reefs. They sink you to the bottom with a 50 pound helmet headgear. But, you can breathe normally, your head doesn't even get wet. Then you walk around with the fishes. Unique experience and we saw a lot of fish, large and small. In general, the water was a bit murky and the corals minimal/dead. Scuba/Snuba might be better options. For us, this was fine, since I have motion sickness and dread the boat ride to the reef.

After that, we caught a live show in which four guys rotate around a tall pole hanging upside down. A fifth plays a flute at the top. We had lunch listening to the glass bottle musicians. This was unique and very nice to listen too.

As we explored, we chanced upon a chapel on a hill, with a unique graveyard. This is a must-see. Every tombstone was intricately decorated. We saw a horse show and finished off with the grand night show. This is really very good and lasts two hours. They demonstrate how the Mayan's used to play ball in the great ball courts, using only their waists/hips to direct a ball into a small hoop. Before I saw it done, I didn't believe it was possible. There are hundreds of actors and the dresses are flamboyant. Mariachi singers, floats, dances, it has it all.

Returned to Blue Bay exhausted. We had made a reservation at the upscale Mexican Restaurant. Great food, well-plated. The best thing we had there was the flaming coffee after the meal. Our server started by rimming the glass with grenadine and sugar and then slowly burning it. Then he poured some mexican Kahlua and set it on fire. Doused it with coffee and icecream. Then he separately lit brandy, the flames leaping across the air, as he poured it from cup to cup in a pyrotechnic spectacle. Finally he added the brandy, some liqueur and Bailey's Irish cream to the coffee. A truly sinful libation.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb