Don't eat the Ceviche


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cozumel
December 10th 2012
Published: December 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

If you have left any comments on this blog so far, we just figured out today how to read them and accept them, I'm still not sure though if readers can see them or not. We are still new at this blogging business but getting a better hang of it and many thanks to our family and friends who are following our adventure, your comments are always welcome and much appreciated!

Today is more cloudy than usual and it has been raining overnight, although there is a nice breeze, it is so humid and muggy that we both feel sticky only a few minutes after we shower. We can't figure out how to turn on our air conditioning, I guess we will have to bug our condo owner again, she's probably getting sick of us by now!

On today's walk to town, we see the Trans Caribe ferry loading up. This is the ferry that goes across to Playa Del Carmen (the mainland) for vehicles, although there is another ferry just for people closer to downtown that would be much faster for $13 per person each way. For the Trans Caribe, we are told it costs $35 per vehicle for the one and a half hour trip one way. As it is Monday morning, the first ferry of the week, it was much busier than we we have seen so far.

Downtown is starting to get more decorated for Christmas every day. Our daily shop at the Super Mega for groceries, we buy some ribeye steak, prawns, whole rotissierre chicken, frozen piece of ahi tuna, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, water, ice tea, watermellon, pineapple, cookies, bread, pastries, a case of beer and a few other things. We meet a lady who is trying to speak to the pharmacist since her daughter has come down with terrible food poisoning from ceviche (uncooked fish soup.) She was certain that was the cause as her daughter was the only one who ate it and got violently ill about 30 hours later. I use my iphone spanish dict app to help her translate English to Spanish for the pharmacist, which was all we could do to help. We ran into her again a bit later while shopping in the store and she tells us that her daughter must go visit a doctor as they suspect she has a bacterial infection. I could only imagine if something like that happened to me with my Crohn's, we would probably have to head home early. No raw fish for me that's for sure! I have actually been feeling very well here, Mexico seems to be agreeing with me but being extra careful of course about what I will eat.

Having only $60 with us, we were worried we might not have enough money to pay for all our groceries but when we get to the cash register to check out, our whole bill is only $40, so we have lots left to still take a cab back to our condo. There are always a bunch of cabs waiting at the door. I can't get over how cheap the food here really is!

When we were down at the street waiting to watch the sunset, a little parade came by on the street in front of our condo to start the celebrations for Our Lady of Guadeloupe. It is some kind of religious event devoted to the Virgin of Guadeloupe held every year. The festival actual day of celebrations is Dec 12 but the parades can happen any time after Dec 1.

After the sunset, Ian barbequed the ribeye steak, it was the best dinner we had so far!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb