Tropical Storm


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cozumel
December 12th 2012
Published: December 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our landlady came by and showed us how to use the air conditioning, she tells us it is very expensive but now at least we have the option if it becomes intolerably hot. We pay for utilities so it will be at our expense anyway. She has been just great about taking care of everything around the condo.

We walked to the Chedraui (pronounced Shed-ru-ee) which is another superstore downtown where there are more locals shopping than tourists compared to the Super Mega. It is a chain which is owned by Carlos Slim, the richest man in the world (we googled to check, he is even richer than Bill Gates!) Security guards are present at the entrance and exit, the first time we were there, one security guard was holding a shot gun. If you have a back pack or bags with you, there is a desk where you check them on the way in, you are not allowed to walk around the store with them. Security guards frisk the employees as they leave the store. This is obviously a culture of mis-trust, Costa Rica was the same. Ian got a couple of new T-shirts and we picked up our daily groceries, since we weren't too loaded down with stuff, only a couple of bags, and the overcast made for a cooler day, we walked back to the condo. Generally, a walk to downtown, shop and walk back takes us aroud two hours.

Being self employed means that we still have to do quotes and so forth for our business, so we got some work done in the afternoon on the computer. I also hooked up an international calling plan and learned how to call Canada on my cell phone. We need to dial 00 then 1 then the area code and phone number. It's expensive with roaming fees, but if needed, at least we call if we need to.

The weather yesterday was cloudy with occassional showers, luckily there was a bit of a break at sunset so we were able to enjoy that. Then last evening, we had a rip roaring tropical storm complete with lightening and thunder. Rain came right in through our bedroom window but we had to keep it open anyway or it would be way too hot to sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb