Last Day in Cancun


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Cancun
October 14th 2003
Published: May 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today was Patrice, Christina, and my last day in Cancun. We would be flying back home early tomorrow morning while Vern and Bill stayed on for a few extra days. Our last full day was spent about an hour south of Cancun in the small town of Puerto Morelos. We had signed up for a snorkeling tour of the offshore coral reefs. After changing into our swimming gear and getting our snorkeling gear, we had a few minutes to check out the beach. The beaches here are quite peaceful with very few tourists. It's as if we had the entire beach and coral reef all to ourselves to explore. We all jumped aboard this tiny little fishing boat which would take us a few hundred feet offshore to begin our snorkeling. Once we were all in the water, we followed our guide who directed us towards the coral reef. It must have been high tide as a good chunk of the reef was above the water line. At some points where we snorkeled, the coral was only about 1 foot below the water line. We had to really be careful so as not to scrape ourselves on the razor sharp coral. Our guide continuously would dive into the depths and bring back starfish, urchins, and other creatures for us to look at. Vern was really lagging behind everybody else so I stayed with him. I don't know if he was struggling but I didn't want him to be by himself. Later, we got back on the boat and our guide took us to another spot. This time Vern stayed on the boat. It was more of the same corals and fish. It was good fun but after awhile it begins to get old.

Back on dry land, we changed out of our wet clothes and were served lunch before driving back to Cancun. The rest of the day was spent enjoying the pool and beach one last time. That evening, we all went into town to do some souvenir shopping. It's expected for you to barter with the shopkeepers but I was just in no mood to barter and just accepted the initial price that I was told. After shopping, we hung out at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville for dinner and drinks before calling it a night. The next morning, Patrice, Christina, and I said goodbye to Cancun and caught our flight back to Phoenix before connecting back to Los Angeles.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Beach at Puerto MorelosBeach at Puerto Morelos
Beach at Puerto Morelos

The small boat that we took to the reef
MargaritavilleMargaritaville
Margaritaville

Where we spent our last night


Tot: 0.386s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb