Last Days Of Our Trip to Mexico 2011


Advertisement
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As I begin my ninth and final entry to this trips blog I look back with great memories some challenging moments I feel blessed that I was able to go to San Miguel De Allende. After taking a 3 hour bus trip from Queretero to Mexico City starting at 9:00AM We arrived home late Friday night 12:00 midnight exhausted but happy to be home in our own place. Nothing is better than returning home and fin... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Bouncy Boucers Everywhere!Bouncy Boucers Everywhere!
Bouncy Boucers Everywhere!

The day before The three King Reyes Day they set up the Jardin for a huge Childrens Day Celebration. When we arrived in the mrning we thought we may be in Hawaii as thye too love their bouncy houses! Kids were lined up everywhere with frr popcorn and lots of things to do for them. When we came back in the evening at the end of the day I wasn't sure who must be more tired the parents or the children!
Queretero Jardin in the Historic DistrictQueretero Jardin in the Historic District
Queretero Jardin in the Historic District

This Jardin a half block from our hotel where we spent our last night in Mexico. Jan 6 is King Reyes Day which is as important as Christmas Day. In fact they use to only celebrate this day with the children getting gifts on this day instead of Christmas. The day before you will see toys being sold everywhere!
Rick taking a breakRick taking a break
Rick taking a break

We walked so much that if we saw a bench we often just sat for a minute until we started again.
Alley Alley
Alley

Off the main roads of San Miguel they have all these alleys you can only walk down to get to your home or aptartment. This one was very festive
Early Habit Training kitsEarly Habit Training kits
Early Habit Training kits

Thought this was so cute that they had all the tools to help out mom.
Inside a CantinaInside a Cantina
Inside a Cantina

Cantinas are Drinking places in Mexico. Most of these bars are closed off to view from the street with swinging western style doors or door size screens. We always walk by these places as I just never feel comfotable going in the local bars but Rick really wanted to go in. We had walked by this one many times and heard loud singing and conversations. This night was early so I said okay it sounded quieter than usual. Believe me the few in there stared but were all very friendly. We stayed for one beer (cheapest one so far about a $1). The wierdest and crudest thing is the trough behind a half wall for the men to use. Wierd!!! Not many people in the place but they really wanted us to stay and add some amusement to there typical day at the bar I guess. Rick tried some homemade swill called Pulpe. I believe it is made from a cactus plant and probably fermented in a old coke 2 liter bottle. Smelled bad and had not much flavor no need to have again that is for sure.
Sweet BoothSweet Booth
Sweet Booth

They love their sweets. I just love to look at how pretty they always look.
DulceriaDulceria
Dulceria

This was a small one but very neat. Some are the size of a small grocery store just filled with sweets and treats for the Pinatas. What is more amazing is that they have these everywhere! How many Pinatats must be broken to support all these stores! Thats a lot of Pinata pounding.
Beeswax CandlesBeeswax Candles
Beeswax Candles

Felt a little strange as this was a Mortuary. I didn't notice right away as I fell in love with all the candles. I went ahead on bought some though i am sure most of jis customers had better reasons for their purchase.
Water TroughsWater Troughs
Water Troughs

Walking the streets we often saw these small corner fountains a reminder of days gone by when horseback riders were the ones using the streets. The nicer the neighborhodd the nicer the troughs.
Marachi in Jardin SMAMarachi in Jardin SMA
Marachi in Jardin SMA

Seemed like we were always missing the Mariahis in the Jardin we didn't this night. Nothing screams Mexico like a Good Mariachi Band.
PharmacyPharmacy
Pharmacy

This was a pharmacy in downtown San Miguel. It had lots of medicines in jars still. Just like the old fashion look of it



10th January 2011

Beautiful photos... it looks like you had an amazing time, despite snobbish expats. (Sorry you had to deal with that)
10th January 2011

We had a Great time
Glad you liked my photos coming from you I take that as high praise. The one good thing about the ex-pats is that you really didn't have to deal with them as they would always cross the street or turn the corner or just look the other way so really easy not to have to speak with them. The other tourist were very nice and would always share info if they had it.
15th January 2011

Great Photos Great Tips
Your photos are great. They along with your titles give a wonderful impression of the area and the local population. I have been worrying about whether to take my family to the Guadalajara area in light of all the drug related crime. Years ago I traveled into Mexico on my own and never had any problems even though I am a woman. The Mexican people were always kind and generous. Puerto Vallerta around christmas was full of families and very festive, which is the environment I wanted. Your experience makes me think we could manage Guadalajara without any problems. I will still think about it but you remind me of how wonderful Mexico can be, thanks. PS: Expats. My father lives in Mexico as an ex-pat and says that most of them treat the Mexicans like dirt. I'm an ex-pat in Europe and the ex-pats where I live have a very strict hierarchy amongst themselves. If you don't show up with what they consider lots of money, a prestigous job, or a well connected family they will go out of their way to make you feel like 2nd class citizens. I complained about this to a Philippine and a Japanese friend and they thought their groups were much worse than the American ex-pats, because in their society it is already very stratified socially---so God forbid you should arrive in Europe as an aupair and hope to find any comraderie with the well-heeled Japanese or Phillipinno women. :--) Anyway.... thanks again for sharing.
24th January 2011

TY Karen
Karen I really think that you and your family would be as safe if not safer than where you may live. We really never felt any threat at all. SMA is a beautiful place to psend Christmas but with kids you may want to go to the beach as well lots more for kids to do and it is cold during Christmas in SMA. I wish I would have done half there and half at the beach. About the snobs of San Miguel I suppose it is true in most places and instead of being gracious they think that their money is enough to excuse their rude behavior well it's not.
2nd February 2011

As a Mexican myself, I recommend traveling to Oaxaca, Tlaxcala, or Yucatan to the Chitzen Itza, which is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Felicity- Costa Alegre Deals
12th February 2011

Been there done that!
Thanks for the ideas. I traveled to Oaxaca/Hualtulco for a month a few years ago and been to the Yucatan many times in the last 20 years but would love to go again but hey so many places to go with so little time or money! SMA is one of the prettiest places in Mexico for the buildings but have had much better times in other parts of Mexico thats for sure. Thanks for checking out my blog!

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb