Exploring colonial cities


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca
April 30th 2011
Published: May 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

On an overnight bus now ... about half way through my two week Intrepid tour. So far, it’s been a lot of fun.

We’ve visited some beautiful colonial cities (Puebla and Oaxaca (wa-ha-ca)), with many of the buildings in the historical centres restored. Some really stunning churches and cathedrals....the Spanish sure knew how to build massive places of worship, usually intricately decorated with gold, paintings, sculptures ... usually all three!

In general, Mexico is more beautiful than I expected ... in Europe, these cities would be full of tourists. Luckily here, we don’t have to share them with too many others! Of course there are also historical sites to visit from the pre-Hispanic times... but the two largest we are visiting are still to come (Palenque and Chitsen Itza).

My Spanish is getting a little bit of use ... and I’m remembering more each day. Today I had a wonderful half hour “conversation” with a young woman in an artesan market ... she was trying to sell me rugs that she and her family make in a village outside Oaxaca renowned for its weaving. I bought a couple of little ones ... but mostly I just enjoyed the time I spent with her. She was very sweet, and I think she was bored because there weren’t any other customers. So she was very patient in telling me about the rugs, her family, her village etc. Her whole village specialises in weaving - she began learning to weave when she was ten years old. Both her parents and her grandparents and sisters and a brother all weave.

We’re now off to a place called San Cristobal de las Casas ... in the highlands in south east Mexico not too far from the Guatemalan border. Its in one of the most indigenous areas of Mexico, so sounds like some fascinating villages and local culture to see. I’m looking forward to it ... but how much I enjoy it might depend on how much sleep I get tonight on this (admittedly very comfortable first class) night bus!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb