Cave swimming...


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I finished my Intrepid tour yesterday and have booked in for a week at an exercise/yoga retreat at one of the “top 10 beaches in the world” ... Tulum. A complete change of pace from my recent couple of weeks ...

One of the highlights of our tour was the second last day swimming in cenotes – sinkholes (caverns) in the middle of the countryside. They were absolutely stunning – crystal clear blue, really blue, water, stalagtites and mites and limestone walls.

Getting there was half the fun ... first we took a mini van, then switched to motorbike taxis, and then we all got on board horse-drawn trains. Little carts that ran on train tracks, not a road! Getting into each of the cenotes was also a bit of an adventure ... in one case we had to descend about 5 metres down a vertical ladder... and you couldn’t see the bottom from the top.

Apparently thousands of cenotes are dotted all over the Yucatan Peninsula, so I’m looking forward to swimming and snorkelling in a couple near Tulum.

Last night was the last night of our tour... so we all went for a night out in Playa del Carmen. It’s a bit of a culture shock after the rest of Mexico. You can pay in US dollars, almost every menu is in English and it’s a complete tourist place. It’s only an hour from Cancun. Still, the beach is gorgeous... postcard-worthy Carribbean beautiful white sand and turquoise water. And the nightlife (once it got started about 11.00pm) was lots of fun. Our tour leader managed to negotiate free drinks for the ladies in nearly every place we went.. including all types of cocktails!

That’s it for this blog ... until my next post from idyllic Tulum...



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb