Mexico City by night!


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
April 23rd 2011
Published: April 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

What a difference it makes knowing some locals! I’ve gone out every night here in Mexico City ... something I wouldn’t have done on my own, that’s for sure. And such diverse ‘entertainment’ experiences I’ve had in the last few days:

Evening #1 – Mescal ... without the worm!

The first night here, Rodo (my cousin Kate’s husband), his sister Rosella and her boyfriend, Gary took me out for dinner. (It's a shame Kate had to go away for work). But first we went to a tiny little rustic bar, barely more than a hole in the wall, that specialises in mescal. This local drink is the rough cousin of tequila, I think. Almost as famous internationally ...as the drink that has the worm in the bottom of the bottle. Well, no worms here... although grasshoppers were on the snack menu! A couple of shot glasses later, we toddled off to a wonderful Italian restaurant. Also small, but great food and atmosphere. I could have been anywhere in the world....this area of the city feels really cosmopolitan.

Evening #2 – Live Cuban music

After going out for dinner with Rosella and Gary (at 9.30pm!), we went to a great place in the beautiful colonial area of Condesa. It’s run by Cubans, and had a live Cuban band. It was absolutely packed with heaps of people dancing salsa between the tables. Another fun night!

Evening #3 – Ballet at an 18th century castle

I don’t think it would be possible to get more of a contrast from last night. Rosella and Gary are here in Mexico City on holidays for a few days, and managed to get me a ticket to go with them to a ballet performance. It was held outdoors at the Castillo de Chapultepec, the former home of an emperor and presidents, on top of a hill overlooking Mexico City. An absolutely fabulous setting to watch Sleeping Beauty... unfortunately no photos were allowed of the performance but I did get a couple of photos of the “set” beforehand.

Evening #4 – Finally some traditional Mexican experiences

Each evening so far has been very international in flavour. But this afternoon/tonight, I had some wonderful authentic Mexican experiences. Some friends of Rosella & Gary’s who are living here in Mexico City took them out to some of their favourite places... a georgeous little Mexican restaurant where I ate quesadillas, tacos, tamale, and cactus! Delicious, even the cactus!? Then we went to an icecream parlour that makes traditional icecream ...the business has been in the same family for five generations and in the same location since 1921! And then we finished the evening off at another tiny mescal bar ... with flagons of all the different varieties on the wall.

As you can see, I’ve had a wonderful time here so far. Rosella unfortunately goes home tomorrow... but it’s actually good timing because I join my Intrepid tour tomorrow evening.

Until next blog ... Love Alison.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb