Morelia, First Full Week


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Morelia
August 12th 2010
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so after a couple of more weeks, lets try playing catch up again...

After getting only a few hours of sleep, there was a breakfast planned for us, so off we went. It was a nice spread at some hotel that looked like i wouldn't be able to afford if i'd gone alone. But it was free, even better. Several people spoke, we got some gifts and it was now time to move onto our respective communities. My group consisted of Dave from England, Nora from Dallas and Beth from Colorado. Dave had just finished his TEFL course, and both Nora and Beth were both experienced teachers. I was the lone newbie (that's what I liked to think of myself as, just like JD).

Our town was Uruetaro, 30 minutes just outside of Morelia, with a population of just over 2,000. There was no town plaza (apparently ours was the only one like this, i'll get into that a little more later), and only main road that passed through. Another surprise was the living situaiton: our volunteer group lived together in the house alone, no family stay. Thus, it would be very difficult to practice the spanish as often as i would have liked. But we each had our own bedroom and 2 full baths. However, there was no fridge and the lights didnt work. Both would be fixed very quickly though. The house was not that bad, but it did have it's share of critters for the first days as no one had lived there for a while. The biggest pest problem proved to be the annoying mosquitoes. For the first week or two, i'd kill at least 10 before going to bed, but then had to sleep with the sheet covering my entire body. And even that wasn't sufficient as i woke up in the morning with new bites. I still have the red marks all over me (and the X thing stopped working after the first 20 bites, so I need a new country remedy Carley).

The first Sunday we were there also happened to be the day of the World Cup final. And we all know how that played out!! Several people came back into Morelia to join up and watch it. I'll just say it was a good time, with perhaps a beer or two to pass the time.

The first week in Uruetaro was reserved for planning, so there wasn't much going on. And we hadnt started going into town on a daily basis, so there was a whole lot reading and going to bed early, something I'm not used to at all. Couldn't wait for our first full weekend back in Morelia...

Advertisement



13th August 2010

west nile
Well, I find it hard to believe that the X could fail you but perhaps you should concentrate more on prevention - douse yourself in sulfur and sleep under a mosquito net. Buena Suerte mi Amigo!!!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb